PDA

View Full Version : Corner Window

nextvkin
2007-09-13, 01:13 PM
Hello,
I've just drawn a corner window although I don't think I've done it in the most efficient way: after inserting the windows, I dragged the ends of the walls to the ends of the windows to create a gap at the corner; then I added 2 short walls to the base & the top of the windows to form the corner and finally added the column. At the top there is a joint which I have to ink in an invisible line although it's OK at the base. Any suggestions please?
TIA
Kay

dhurtubise
2007-09-13, 01:28 PM
Depending on how many times it applies i prefer using an inplace family to cut the walls. If it applies many places you can use a wall based void to cut the wall to. Makes things faster and more accurate schedule wise

clog boy
2007-09-13, 01:31 PM
This isn't bad actually, but you could improve it by inserting a void in your column (idk if it would also cut the window).
You could also make the corner window as one family, use the column as a nested family and extend the void to the end of the perpendicular window. Or drag the void of the individual windows beyond the exterior of the perpendicular wall (idk what that would do to the column).

Corner windows are tricky enough as it is, but I think your way is one of the best I've seen recently. (except for having to add small chunks of wall above and below your column)

cphubb
2007-09-13, 04:18 PM
You can use a void to cut both walls in a corner window family. Start with the window template, delete the opening and use a void to cut everything in the path of the window.
If you go to the web library there is a good example of the corner window

trombe
2007-09-14, 11:30 PM
Have you looked at the tutorial / help on corner windows ?

You could go here for some tips:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=37716&highlight=corner+windows#post748012

I have made a couple using the standard method of geometry and a wall opening. It works OK as long as you follow through with the last bits - when in the project, you have to select Create - Wall - Opening, cutting an opening in the wall to accept the return of your window, otherwise you are likely to be unable to host the window in the section, or if it does host, there will be a range of conflicts.
So if you cut the extra bit first all is well and can be tweaked if necessary after.

The void system works better because it exists before you insert the window into your project, and so it cuts immediately where it needs to.

As long as you tie the void to the geometry / reference planes properly, it will be OK when you flex the window, because if not, you're toast mate.

regards
trombe

nextvkin
2007-09-16, 10:53 PM
Thank you all for your response & links - great help.
Kay