PDA

View Full Version : Autocad import in Revit with coordinates

sopori
2004-08-10, 06:32 PM
Hello:

I am new to this forum. I am new to Revit in implementation. I have question. I have this decimal units autocad drawing which is essentially an engineering drawing. I imported into autocad without scaling so that it mainatained its coordinates. My purpose was that when I export back to autocad for other consultants, they should be able to xref this drawing at its original coordinates. I was successful in acheieving that. But I have now another problem. Since this decimal drawing was not scaled for architectural units, all wall types were 12 times bigger for obvious reasons. So I solved that also by making duplicates of the wall types by using 1/12 factor. Now here is the big problem how do I dimesnion it because all dimensions are shosing up in 1/12 factor for obvious reasons.

Could you please help me? I was in other user group and one user said scale it. But the problem does not stop there. So what do I do now? Help is really needed here because I do see huge potential of intelligent software like Revit.

ss

sbrown
2004-08-10, 06:59 PM
You need to scale up the dwg, don't scale down everything in Revit it would require intense reworking of everything. It will be much easier to scale down your exports.

You can scale a dwg on import or pick it after import/link and select properties and you will see the scale options.

Now the tricky part, getting the export in the right spot. You need to use the shared coordinate tool in revit to aquire the coordinates of your dwg. Do a search here. this topic was recently discussed.

The easiest way if you have a simple building is to import/link your dwg check the origin to origin button. this will place the dwgs 0,0,0 with revits. Now move your building to the proper location. Then your exports should be fine.(You'll still have to scale them down, there's no way around that, not in acad either as far as I know. We always had to scale civil drawings up 12 times before we could use them in acad.

amara
2004-08-10, 11:27 PM
I think the export/import issue is among the most vital which needs to be addressed. importing from acad should recognize line weights based on pen assignment in acad. exports to acad is a real problem. I use metric and drawings need to be scaled down 10 times. With scaling you lose dimension settings, line types, and paperspace scaling. Also exporting to acad should be a much simpler operation. At least there should be the option to export to a single drawing rather than xrefs. We end up with huge amount of acad drawings that we end up deleting after binding xrefs into the drawings. With a project with over 50 drawings that's huge amount of work. Each drawing needs about 15 minutes to setup, and the end result is never what is intended. I really hope this will be addressed in the next release.

sopori
2004-08-16, 06:34 PM
dear all:

I did achieve ( By sharing the coordinates) to export the parent AutoCAD drawing to AutoCAD and it does fall on its original coordinates. But now I have another serious problem. I had traced the above mentioned AutoCAD drawing but when I export the traced drawing elements to AutoCAD drawing. They do not fall at the same coordinates. I wonder why does that happen? I had traced and it should have fallen at the same place as the parent drawing when I exported them to AutoCAD.

Help please.

ss