PDA

View Full Version : Limitiations -Moving objects and Underlays

mark.98140
2007-09-19, 07:41 AM
Can someone pls explain the following apparent limitations in Revit that others have noted do not appear in Archicad;

1. Why is it that underlays are always active. This makes it near impossible to manipulate large drawings without 'grabbing' the underlay items. Surely we should have a choice - active or not!

2. Why is it that i can move an individual item from the underlay level (when using move command), but not be able to move several items on the same underlay level using the move command (as in trying to stretch both levels together).

So, if i try to stretch a plan on both levels using an overlay, it won't do it.. but if I accidentally select a single item on an underlay it will... FRUSTRATING....and dare i say very limiting. Isn't it normal pratice in architecture to be able to stretch both levels together?

Can someone pls restore my faith and point out some obvious work around or explanation for this seemingly quirky 'limitation'.

mark.98140
2007-09-19, 02:53 PM
Just to add to the frustration, this item was raised by another user back in july 2004! Makes you wonder like site tools and many other items if the factory actually are listens.

ajayholland
2007-09-20, 05:33 PM
As a former ArchiCAD user, I vaguely recall their implementation of plan underlays. What objects are in question?

In Revit, the underlay serves as a guide. It doesn’t seem that the intention is for the modification of objects in the active level and underlay simultaneously. Objects in the underlay can be selected by picking, but not by marquee selection. To modify objects below the level being viewed, change the view range properties.

In addition, there are many other ways of working through the depth of a model. Objects on one level can have a locked reference to objects on other levels. Vertical elements (walls, columns) can be model in a multi-storey methodology. Another alternative would be to work in a sectional view.

I hope this helps. Keep the faith!

~AJH