PDA

View Full Version : Calculated Value Based on Text Field

breck.baird
2007-09-21, 12:50 AM
What I am trying to do right now is set up an occupancy load calculation with a calculated field (called Load) that takes a number value based on the Name of an Area element, e.g. If the Name field is OFFICE than Load's value is 100, if the Name is CONFERENCE than the Load is 15, etc.

Then another calculated field (OccTotal) would divide the Area field by Load and result in the maximum occupancy for that Area element. (I know this step won't work because Area is in SF and Load is a Number - can a People/SF calculated value type be created?).

The idea is to assign an Area its name from the pull-down text menu and automatically get the total occupancy (thus eliminating potential human error).

Is it possible to do what I am describing above? Am I going about solving the occupancy load calculation the wrong way? Can it be done if Revit, or should I export the data and do the calculation with another program?

Steve_Stafford
2007-09-21, 04:31 AM
Take a look at this THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=33275&highlight=occupancy) for an example Jake Bowen shared. There are several others in the 50 odd threads or more dedicated to this discussion if you have time to look.

I think we need a volunteer to organize all the threads on this subject into an FAQ :smile:

clog boy
2007-09-21, 11:14 AM
I'm amazed by the incredibly smart solutions in the linked threads.

breck.baird
2007-09-21, 04:13 PM
Guess I should have known someone would have already dealt with this.

Thanks for the link.