PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing and saving twice

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-11, 11:36 PM
We have been borrowing elements primarily (instead of worksets themselves) for some time now. It works very well.

One side effect of this practice is the occasional need to save a second time. The first time all worksets and borrowed items are checked to be relinquished and the local file checked to save as well. Yet, closing the project at this point generates a Save to ...relinquish and save...don't save dialog box. If you cancel and start a second STC you find borrowed items is "checkable". So you check it, save local too and you're good to go.

Forgive me if this is in the Workset doc's somewhere but I've not noticed it yet. I'd love some "factory" insight into why it is necessary to do this. It seems to me, if a STC forces Revit to need a second STC to turn in those borrowed items, this second try could just be part of the first and hidden from our users. Either way a solid reason would go a long to making new users less nervous about process.

Thanks!

(new users...STC is "Save to Central")

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-12, 02:56 AM
To get out of a project, choose File > Close. Revit will automatically check all the checkboxes for the stuff you've signed out, AND the save local file option is also checked... in one step.

Otherwise it's a two step procedure as you've noted. And who likes to two-step anyway?

:mrgreen:

sbrown
2004-08-12, 02:47 PM
Its not just borrowed objects. I'm working by myself on the QDL project, I take all the worksets, when I do a STC and check all the boxes(including save local after stc), then once thats done I hit the X to close revit, it prompts me to STC again. PIA. I will try just clicking the X in the first place, but that always makes me nervous.

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-12, 06:52 PM
If hitting the X makes you nervous, go to the File menu and choose Close. You'll get the STC dialog with Save to Local checked by default, as well as everything else. It's THE way to quit a workset-enabled project.

sbrown
2004-08-12, 07:33 PM
Sounds good, but it makes me nervous to chose close prior to choosing save. However I will try it.

jbalding48677
2004-08-12, 08:14 PM
If hitting the X makes you nervous, go to the File menu and choose Close. You'll get the STC dialog with Save to Local checked by default, as well as everything else. It's THE way to quit a workset-enabled project.

If that fixes this, it's a good tip. (Scott - that's your cue)

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-12, 08:16 PM
I'm sure that this is the Factory-designed way to quit the project. Can any of the bees from the hive confirm this?

If you have a number of windows open, hitting the X will only close that window anyway.