PDA

View Full Version : Voids taking on wall materials...

Calvn_Swing
2007-09-28, 05:06 PM
I can't seem to hunt this one down on my own. We've got a pretty detailed brick project (we don't do these often) and have some voids we've created to cut the walls. Now, in one instance (window family) the voids cut the wall fine, keep the material definition of the wall surface, and even push the brick back (keeping it's thickness) in plan. Nifty. However, in another family (generic model) it just cuts the wall leaving a "nice" gray gouge. I've tried switching it to a window family just for fun, and it does nothing. So, my question is how do you get the cut face of the wall to maintain it's material definition???

Thanks!

eddy.lermytte
2007-09-29, 08:33 AM
Kelly
Sounds like your voids having a lock/constraints problem.
Did you lock the void(s) on the layers of the host wall in the Rfa ? .
Do you want Revit is matching these layers ( also the void(s) with the layers of a wall on project level?

Calvn_Swing
2007-10-01, 03:22 PM
The voids are all locked to reference planes, not layers in the wall. Here's one .rfa:

I may not be getting what you're asking. Does one side of the reveal have to be locked to a wall layer? That isn't quite making sense to me at the moment, but I'll look at some of the files that work and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!

Calvn_Swing
2007-10-01, 10:21 PM
I've tried unlocking, locking, dimensioning, etc... I can't seem to find any consistent reason why some voids cut the wall material and retain the material information and some don't...

Calvn_Swing
2007-10-09, 05:55 PM
Come one, someone has to know this one! Voids in Walls can't be that crazy...

mmiles
2007-10-09, 06:26 PM
your file only has one material, and in my session it is defaulted to a gray. The voids probably are not showing what you are troubled with.

GUESSES:
1. But, can you solve problem with the paint tool?
2. Or, does your wall structure have wrapping at openings selected? What about at the ends?

Calvn_Swing
2007-10-09, 06:47 PM
your file only has one material, and in my session it is defaulted to a gray. The voids probably are not showing what you are troubled with.

It doesn't trouble me in the family, but in the projects I load it into. Are you suggesting that I need multiple materials in the family in order to make it work?

GUESSES:
1. But, can you solve problem with the paint tool?
2. Or, does your wall structure have wrapping at openings selected? What about at the ends?

1. No.
2. Doh! I didn't think to check that (Homer moment...)

Calvn_Swing
2007-10-09, 06:55 PM
Wrapping at ends. That's all I needed to do. DOH! I don't really know why this makes it work though. Does it make sense to anyone else? Shouldn't it be a property of the family? Some families I want to do this, some not. I shouldn't have to create a new wall type to make it work differently. Seems a bit dumb...

Thanks mmiles!