PDA

View Full Version : Roofs with multiple slopes

Anthony Miguel
2007-10-01, 08:50 AM
I have in the past posted and seen threads asking for the possibility to create roofs with multiple slopes in Revit. I had the feeling when reading the posts in these threads that this was an issue that concerned many Revit users, especially those in Europe where mansard and gambrel roofs are very common.
However, when I proposed this in the wish list forum, it was completely ignored. I do'nt understand why. I have the feeling that those who choose which wishes to hand over to Autodesk are not taking into account the specific necessities of users other than those in the USA. I may be wrong, but this is the impression I have!

snurresprett9
2007-10-01, 10:57 AM
You can do it with the 'roof by extrusion' command.

winnwgomez
2007-10-01, 11:20 AM
Hi

could you post a sketch with the angles of the slope? let us try again?

Winn

SkiSouth
2007-10-01, 01:39 PM
The RA2008 allows for definitions of roof slopes by point, which would allow a multiple slope roof configuration, also the use of slope arrows have been the tradtional revit way of dealing with complicated slope conditions (although not always an EASY solution). Mansard and Gambrel roofs are usually also treated as two roof conditions - make two roofs then join them.

ws
2007-10-01, 03:08 PM
DG's cadclips free lesson No 25 is good on the new RA2008 roof slopes by point, and several of the older cad clips cover various complex roof situations...
http://www.dgcad.com/Revit-AC-2008-Update.asp

snurresprett9
2007-10-01, 03:51 PM
The RA2008 allows for definitions of roof slopes by point, which would allow a multiple slope roof configuration,

Yeah, you try that. Then do a section and measure the roofs thickness!! Roof thickness varies.
Very bad advice!

Mansard and Gambrel roofs are usually also treated as two roof conditions - make two roofs then join them.

You will have a problem where the "two" roofs meet, They wont join properly.

Revitator
2007-10-02, 02:19 PM
While you can use Roof by Extrusion to make gabled two-pitch roofs, that doesn't work so well for hipped roofs (sloped on all sides).

You can use two Footprint roofs, set at different base heights, but the joint between the two doesn't clean up well (The layers of the roof don't wrap round the angle properly).

You can get a cleaner joint by cutting away the edges of the two Footprint roofs with void sweeps. You have to overlap the roof edges first (make them oversized), and then cut them back.

Anthony Miguel
2007-10-03, 06:59 AM
Thanks to everyone for answering but I don't think I explained myself very well. I know there are lots of ways to bypass this problem, I have tried them all. I've had lots of help from members of this and other forums. This isn't what I was "complaining" about. What ticks me off is that this is an issue that has been discussed very often but isn't included in the wishlist. What I would like to know is WHY?
If this function is tecnically impossible to implement is Revit, why doesn't Autodesk just say so right away, and we will settle with the other methods of creating multiple slopes!

patricks
2007-10-03, 12:28 PM
Yeah, you try that. Then do a section and measure the roofs thickness!! Roof thickness varies.
Very bad advice!

You can set in the roof properties for the thickness to be variable or not variable.

Variable is typically used to create recessed, sloping floor slab conditions or flat roofs with tapered insulation.

clog boy
2007-10-03, 02:22 PM
snurresprett9,

WTF did you do to become a supernova at 129 posts??

Just amazing......... :/

snurresprett9
2007-10-03, 02:35 PM
You can set in the roof properties for the thickness to be variable or not variable.

Variable is typically used to create recessed, sloping floor slab conditions or flat roofs with tapered insulation.

OMG! Make a bloody mansard roof with help of the new shape editing tools and make a section through it and see if the roof behaves the way it would be buildt.

snurresprett9
2007-10-03, 02:44 PM
Making a mansard roof with the new shape editing tools. Is there anything wrong with this picture?

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-09, 05:03 PM
...Thanks to everyone for answering but I don't think I explained myself very well... What ticks me off is that this is an issue that has been discussed very often but isn't included in the wishlist. What I would like to know is WHY?...Are you referring to this most recent wishlist voting and the list of wishes found there? If so, it isn't there because no one submitted the wish. There are lots of wishes in the orginal wishlist forum but those did not get added to the new wishlist structure for two reasons, the amount of time available to do so and there are a LOT of them.

The roof editing features added were created to solve two specific roof conditions for flat roofs, not the mansard so it is no surprise to me that it doesn't work for that condition perfectly. It does create the correct look outside but the section would have to be cleaned up to properly detail the structure. This is acceptable to some for now and for others unacceptable.

It might be worth mentioning that these tools were not intended to be in Revit Architecture initially (they were developed in Revit Structure first) because the RA team deemed them not ready enough for architects. Many complaints ensued and they were added, now posts here are criticizing it for not working for a roof configuration they weren't designed to solve yet. I'm glad they did add them glad to accept the limitations as such considering the ease with which we can now deal with flat sloped roofs.

Be sure to add your wish to the next voting cycle and submit your wish to your reseller and Autodesk Support.

dale.167111
2008-04-23, 08:16 PM
WTF..... A curtain wall IS a window. When was the last time you saw a curtain wall supplied by a drywall/metal stud contractor.

patricks
2008-04-23, 08:44 PM
WTF..... A curtain wall IS a window. When was the last time you saw a curtain wall supplied by a drywall/metal stud contractor.

ummm you're replying to someone's signature haha :p

Now my response to those 2 images posted by Revitator above is, how would such a roof actually be built? Probably not either of the ways shown. Sure the second image with the voids cutting the roof looks neater in section, but it probably won't be built that way, because something has to support the joint where the roof slope changes.

I would just draw it as 2 roofs, and do a detail of that area where it changes to show whatever framing occurs at the top of the lower rafters and the bottom of the upper rafters. As long as the model looks correct in elevation is fine by me.