PDA

View Full Version : Turning up insulation at edge of floor slab

dg
2004-08-12, 10:24 PM
I have made a ground floor slab which has 60mm of rigid insulation below a screed and concrete slab - with some sand blinding and hardcore below the insulation. I would like the insulation to turn up the external walls where the slab abuts them. This is specifically for UK B/regs purposes to prevent a cold bridge.

Wraps don't seem to work with floor components, so have tried a host sweep from a profile section with an insulation hatch.

However the sweep component is not trimming the concrete and screed lines or hatch, and these still appear to travel through the host sweep and up to the adjoining wall

Is there a way to make this upturned piece of insulation appear continuous with the horizontal insulation?

Cheers

aaronrumple
2004-08-12, 10:29 PM
Sketch please? I think a slab edge can be made to work....

cgrover
2004-08-13, 03:42 AM
I'm not sure if I quite understand your issue, but I'm working on a project where I have my foundation wall and 2" of rigid insulation. I use the edit cut profile tool to adjust the shape as necessary at my slab. I also use the same tool to adjust my slab and compacted fill which are both set up as part of my floor system. So this may be one way to do it if I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

grover

dg
2004-08-13, 09:03 AM
This should illustrate it better

Could this be acheived by applying to the floor slab as a whole, so that I don't have to edit in a detail view?

Cheers

Martin P
2004-08-13, 09:30 AM
We do this detail a lot, we simply created a detail family and just drop it in where we need it, works fine :) Applies to a lot of things this really, we do the same at window and door jambs (though they are in the families) and complex wall junctions. Sometimes it is just simpler to do this.

aaronrumple
2004-08-13, 01:27 PM
You can do this with a slab edge as well should you wish to model the the detail. Depends on how many sections you are going to cut. We are just finishing a project where first we used detail componets for foundation/slab conditions, but eventually modeled them because of the number of changes we had to update...

bclarch
2004-08-13, 02:25 PM
If it doesn't need to be parametric I would just go with a detail component.

If it needs to be parametric I would create a floor family out of the insulation material to match the depth of the main floor system (top of slab to bottom of insulation). Create the floor using the "insulation" floor. Cut an opening in the floor that is offset from the edge the thickness of your insulation. Fill in the opening in the "insulation" floor with your standard floor system.

dg
2004-08-16, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will try and model something rather than draw details.

And as this is just the ground floor of my project, then be prepared for more questions as I work my way up to the roof .
lol

Cheers