PDA

View Full Version : Specify list for a PSD

stelthorst
2007-10-02, 11:52 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way I can specify a list for one PSD depending on the input of another PSD. The formula in my mind is:

If [System] = "Power" Then
List of [WireTypes] = PowerWires
Else [System] = "Control"
List of [WireTypes] = ControlWires
Etc

Where System and WireTypes are PSD's and PowerWires and ControlWires are List Definitions.

I know this isn't in the right format but I don't even know if I can set the list of a manual PSD via a formula.

Any ideas?

dkoch
2007-10-04, 11:47 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way I can specify a list for one PSD depending on the input of another PSD. The formula in my mind is:

If [System] = "Power" Then
List of [WireTypes] = PowerWires
Else [System] = "Control"
List of [WireTypes] = ControlWires
Etc

Where System and WireTypes are PSD's and PowerWires and ControlWires are List Definitions.

I know this isn't in the right format but I don't even know if I can set the list of a manual PSD via a formula.

Any ideas?
I do not believe you can do what you want, as you describe it. Lists can only be applied to a manual property. The closest I can come to that would be to have two text-type manual properties, one for WireTypes-Power and one for WireTypes-Control, and then have a formula property that passes through the desired value based on the system type, which is presumably set in the System property.

So, that will not get you a single property, with the right list, based on the System, but it will get you both lists in a single PSD, with the value from the correct list displayed in the formula property. You would still have to rely on the user to set the value in the correct list. Is the System value set manually by the user, or is that derived automatically?

A manual property with a conditional list assignment sounds like a great wish.

stelthorst
2007-10-05, 11:38 PM
I do not believe you can do what you want, as you describe it. Lists can only be applied to a manual property. The closest I can come to that would be to have two text-type manual properties, one for WireTypes-Power and one for WireTypes-Control, and then have a formula property that passes through the desired value based on the system type, which is presumably set in the System property.

So, that will not get you a single property, with the right list, based on the System, but it will get you both lists in a single PSD, with the value from the correct list displayed in the formula property. You would still have to rely on the user to set the value in the correct list. Is the System value set manually by the user, or is that derived automatically?

A manual property with a conditional list assignment sounds like a great wish.

Thanks David,

I was afraid that would be the case. The system is set when you add conduit or cable tray. I like the idea of moving the wire size to a new PSD via a formula but will have to decide if that is easier/less confusing than just having one list with all of the different wire types listed.

I think I'm leaning towards one huge list I was just trying to make the list more manageable by breaking it up by system.

As usual, another well thought out and helpful answer.

Thanks for the input.