PDA

View Full Version : Stair Using Shaft Opening

aperez.126820
2007-10-03, 03:48 AM
I am using a multi-story stair with a Revit Shaft Opening, and I'm having a couple of issues.
Firstly, I am not able to create and/or include the upper landing at each floor. I have created floor slabs for my upper landings. I'm thinking of creating a family that includes steel channels for the landing structure to match the stair assembly and/or structure. Secondly, my top landing disappears after creating it and/or after copying from a lower floor. Does anyone know why this is happening? Should I not be using the shaft tool to create the stair shaft?
Also is there a way to make the upper landings part of the stair?

Any suggestions?

robert.manna
2007-10-03, 05:27 PM
The shaft tool is intended to help cut through any horizontal objects (floors, ceilings, roofs) to assure that your shafts are lined up vertically through a building. Shafts also support symbolic geometry to identify the shaft location in plan (for instance "X" in a mechancial shaft) and have the symbology show up at all locations where the shaft cuts through and object. The shaft object is essentially a void.

Multi-story stairs are somewhat of a mis-nomer, in reality its a glorified group & copy tool that copies up stair and railing objects, keeping them aligned. When using multi-story is does not allow for the "copies" to be flexed or adjusted differently, they all match. This means that it cannot resolve rail join conditions where you want rails to wrap continuously up the entire stair. Revit stairs do not support co-located landings, ie, you can't make a triple run stair that doubles back on itself, as revit cannot intporlate sketch lines on top of each other. This means, that in your case, the only solution, as you've found for your landings at each floor is to create floor objects and copy them and then paste aligned on all the affected levels. To make the stringers continuous, you can use the railing tool, the slab edge sweep tool, or you can create a family object.

HTH,
-R

Haden
2008-11-17, 02:13 PM
Has anyone else had difficulties joining geometry of the walls surrounding a shaft with the floors being cut by the shaft? When I tried this with a group, we could not find any rhyme or reason as to why it worked sometimes but not others. I don't know if this is a glitch new to 2009, or if there have always been issues with this situation.

tomnewsom
2008-11-17, 02:24 PM
I only use Shaft Openings for service risers these days. They're not very useful objects, really.

Haden
2008-11-17, 02:33 PM
I only use Shaft Openings for service risers these days. They're not very useful objects, really.

That doesn't surprise me, but I didn't find any other threads that mention this, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for your reply, Tom.

sbrown
2008-11-17, 03:17 PM
I find them great for elevator shafts in early design.

tiffanyharrington
2008-11-17, 09:06 PM
I am trying to update some shaft openings. I cannot edit them and when I update the slabs they show up like the old ones. It's like in the Edit tool it looks right but when I click out of tool it looks like the old slab. Does anyone have any ideas or tips that I can use to fix this?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-17, 10:28 PM
Also in reply to your other post here http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=90581

I think your problem might be that your shaft is not actually high enough to be cutting the slab at the level you are editing. Go to to a 3D view and select the shaft. Check to see if it actually penetrates the slab.