PDA

View Full Version : Stair Boundry problem

ljupadhyay
2007-10-03, 04:44 PM
I am unable to fix outer boundry of a college stair (attached .rvt) having 23 risers of 150mm with 300mm treads. I tried but failed. Can any one help to fix the problem & currect the drawing with explainations ?
Thanks

rmejia
2007-10-03, 09:39 PM
Is this what you mean by the outer boundry?

ljupadhyay
2007-10-04, 03:58 PM
Yes Mejia. Exactly the same, but please explain the process. One problem remains of railing position. I have currected at one corner but other corner is not looking good. See the attach.

rmejia
2007-10-04, 05:14 PM
The steps I took:
1. Select stairs, use edit stairs button.
2. The green line on the left side of the stairs I was able to use the align tool to align to the left wall.
3. The lines next to the curved area where not aligning so I deleted that line and created a new boundary line and used the arrow tool to select the wall. Next I used the trim tool to connect the new curved line to the left line, and the bottom line. I then extended the first and last steps to the new boundary line created. After that I used the split tool on the line where the first step met, and where the last step met the green line to divide the 1 line into 3 (the result is a flat area, the stair area, and another flat area).

For the railing I selected the railing, edit railing. I tried moving one of the lines but it was moving all of the line so I ended up deleting the small lines at the intersection and creating a new single line to connect the two. The lines have several options on the top (Slope: By Host, Flat, Sloped) and can be more or less adjusted, but will probably never create a clean connection as one would like (that's another one for the wish list).

I purged the file so it got smaller, and attached the railing samples file, I think it comes with the program, not sure where I got it, but it's good to see various examples.

Hope this helps.

ljupadhyay
2007-10-04, 08:21 PM
Very nice step by step help. I rectified my stairs & railing.
thanks Mejia for your co operation.
Can this stair case be converted into a single or nested Family by linking boundry walls as per size of rise & treads or floor to floor height ?
Thanks again

rmejia
2007-10-04, 09:00 PM
The stairs have several option for editing but I don't think they use family objects. The railing components on the other hand are different family types and can be customized separately.

The staircase can be grouped, it can also be copied from project to project or within the project. I don't think they can be linked to walls (they are only linked to levels) to auto calculate the stair from changes to the wall or vice versa. The stairs have to be edited manually in the edit stair command if the stair changes.

The stair tool in Revit I believe could use a little work. The way the stair ends, at least for the monolithic stairs which is the type I mostly use, it does not extend to the floor. Kind of like the same thing that happens when the railings change direction, the connections are not exact, but broken. The stair tool can only do so much, but to have exactly what one wants, some parts have to be modeled separately.