PDA

View Full Version : creating a dependant view from a detail??

jarod.tulanowski
2007-10-04, 02:45 PM
Hello

I was wondering how or if you can create a dependent view from a Drafting View. it says I can (see error attachment) but when I right click on it to create it it is grayed out (see second attachment ). am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help

ajayholland
2007-10-04, 03:07 PM
Jarod,

I believe the first message is a ‘generic’ one. Dependent views are intended for plans.

~AJH

Scott D Davis
2007-10-04, 03:36 PM
Dependent views are intended for plans....

...and elevations!

ajayholland
2007-10-04, 06:04 PM
...and elevations!

Scott,

This is something I had overlooked – and why I browse the forums every day.

~AJH

Wes Macaulay
2007-10-05, 07:41 PM
...and elevations!...and sections!

dbaldacchino
2007-10-06, 06:43 PM
One thing to consider if you want to be able to create "dependent views" of drafted details is to not use drafting views.....here's what I mean. You can create a plan view and make it work as a drafting view by turning off all model categories (except lines) and leave some annotation categories turned on (text, detail items, filled regions, generic annotations). You can save a view template of such a view and whenever you need a drafted detail, create a plan view, apply the view template and draft away. Then later, you could create a dependent of such a view (would be good for creating an addenda/revision view to place on another sheet with titleblock).

Of course you'll have all your views lumped together under Floor Plans in the Project Browser, but you could add a sorting parameter to separate these "drafting" views from other floor plans. It's a bit of a dirty workaround, but it gets the job done if you do need to create a dependent view for one reason or another.

jarod.tulanowski
2007-10-08, 01:35 PM
Generic response ha ha that really stinks it had me trying for a few hours. thanks for the responses guys. Thanks for the workaround dbaldacchino that is something I can look more into.

P.S. the reason I was wanting to use the same detail on multiple sheets is to set up sort of an option sheet. Some of our prototypes have different options on a sheet but some of the details stay the same on the different options. I was just going to add two sheets with the what I want to show and when the client tells me which option he wants. Then it is just a matter of deleting the sheet with the unused option. See the attached the detail that stays the same is the arch section to the right.

Thanks for the quick responses

jarod.tulanowski
2007-10-08, 05:54 PM
oh yea does anyone have any other solutions for this situation?:lol:

Jay Zallan
2007-10-23, 12:31 AM
How about using a Legend View for your Detail needs (Legends can, if you recall, go on multiple sheets!!!) , if you're just drafting the detail(s) they should work nicely enough...

If you need it to be based on model-generated geometry then you could export a Revit detail to (sorry for saying this) Autocad, then import it back in and explode (yuck) it back into Revit thus getting line work into the "Legend"...(Since we can't yet simply copy and paste between Revit's own distinct View Types...YET???)