PDA

View Full Version : parameter query?

tim.101799
2007-10-04, 07:47 PM
I seem to have a bunch of stray parameters in my template. is there anyway to query a parameter to find out what family it is associated with? I would like to remove these parameters from the template and shared parameters file if they are note being used.

As an example, I have one parameter called "JAMB" that is used in all my doors. But there is also one called "jamb" and "jamb1" that I would like to delete if they are not needed.

stuntmonkee
2008-02-27, 05:18 PM
Did you ever find an answer to this? I have the same issue with a parameter that I need to resolve.

It's showing up in a schedule, and since I added a new Parameter from a new file, but it has the same name, I can't find a way to eliminate the first one from the information.

BATx2
2008-02-27, 06:31 PM
I frequently have to figure out what certain parameters do in families that I didn't originally create. Though I haven't found a "query" function in Revit I do have a general procedure which basically involves "flexing the model." It certainly helps to have two monitors when doing this, but it's not required.

First I open up four basic views (plan, exterior or interior, left or right, and 3d). I "WT" (window tile) the four views so they are all displayed. Then I "ZA" (zoom all) so I can see the entire model in each view. After that I open my family types dialogue box and move it to my second monitor. One by one I'll drastically change the value of each parameter and "apply" the change taking note of how the model reacted. Generally if you don't see a reaction the parameter is not assigned to any thing and you can safely delete it. After I flex one parameter I always change it back to its original value before flexing the next parameter. Generally if you try to delete a parameter that is assigned to something Revit will give you a warning saying "The parameter is current used by XXXXXX."

BT

dhurtubise
2008-02-28, 03:22 AM
You should post into the API forum someone can probably build something to query.