PDA

View Full Version : Light Fixtures - detail component vs. family object

jtl
2007-10-05, 06:51 PM
I am trying to incorporate our lighting designer's AutoCAD files into our model. So far we have just linked his file (after deleting our exported background) into the RCPs. However it becomes tedious to move anything around - open the AutoCAD file, move the linework, resave, etc.
I would like to make individual symbols of the fixtures that I can place and nudge around accordingly. I am weighing detail components vs. actual light fixture family objects. Any input?

I only want to get the representation in the RCPs correct. I do not need the light/lumen data for rendering. I also do not have the time to build 45-50 light fixture objects. Am I asking for serious trouble by just using the individual ACAD block to make detail components?

Thanks.

lhanyok
2007-10-05, 07:28 PM
I don't think you'd want to use detail components - those only show up in one view. You can, however, create a lighting family that is 2D.

This is what I've found to be the easiest way to do it from an AutoCAD block:

1. Start a new family with the lighting fixture ceiling based template (assuming you want to attach the lights to a ceiling
2. Import the AutoCAD file into the Ceiling Plan view
3. Explode the AutoCAD file
4. Convert the AutoCAD lines to Revit linetypes
5. Clean out unnecessary Line Patterns and Object Styles

The resulting lines are model lines, essentially 3D lines, so they will show up in every view as lines on the ceiling. If you want 2D symbolic lines you'll have trace over the CAD file (don't explode).

Hope this helps.

jtl
2007-10-05, 07:30 PM
I will give that a try. Thanks.