PDA

View Full Version : question about a schedule and in place families

ntnik
2007-10-05, 08:23 PM
I'm laying out a kitchen. For items i do not have families for i am creating inplace family of solid extrusions (specialty equipment). Under the proerties of each i am entering info that corresponds with my equipment schedule, make model, id numder, discription and the first item on the schedule is "keynote".....so far its working fine, just wanted to verify that i wasn't going to get myself into trouble, or there wasn't a better way....is there a "read my mind button" on here?

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-06, 12:45 AM
If you'd like to use these again then you ought to create them as component families instead of in-place, same work just starting with a family template instead and working outside the project environment.

Melarch
2007-10-08, 10:53 AM
Or if you can keep your projects organized and know what in-place families you created in what project, then you can always copy and paste from that project into a new project. I often take in-place objects and copy and paste them into a project file that is used to reference in-place families. I store it on the server for universal access to copy and paste from, that way I do not have to remember what specific project I built the in-place families. It's similar to using Design Center in AutoCAD to seek blocks in other DWG files.

But as Steve said, if the family you would create as in-place (a non-hosting element) has universal value to you or many others, then create a family file to make it easier to access in future, by all users and to have more flexible and better features to create the family (i.e. nested families, shared parameters, etc.)

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.