PDA

View Full Version : Rooflights misaligned in non-ortho roofs

jaime
2004-08-13, 02:46 PM
I am building a revit 6.1 model of an old georgian property for refurb. It is a bit eccentric with non-parallel walls. This has not been an issue until I tried to put rooflights in, for some reason they change vertical alignment depending on the angle of the roof in plan.

Is there any way of solving this? I would like to make a georgian mansard window family which is roof hosted but I cant make that work until I solve this particular pickle.

Also having problem making georgian mansard roof because the plan is not square I cant do an extrusion. I have had to resort to doing it in two parts, but can not get them to join.

Thanks in advance.

aggockel50321
2004-08-14, 11:17 AM
they change vertical alignment depending on the angle of the roof in plan.

Have you tried placing a reference plane at the elevation of the sill or head of the roof light, and align locking the window to the plane?

As for the roof, you might find it easier to create the roof as an in-place family, using a combination of sweeps or extrusions, joining each as they are created.

PeterJ
2004-08-14, 01:05 PM
I don't have any thoughts on the rooflights. With regard to the roof form, do consider making it in two parts as you are, but make them extrusions, one parallel to the front wall and the other parallel to the rear wall. The upper sections of the roof should oversail the nominal centre line so that you can then use the cut plan region tool to cut them back to their correct common redge line and if required perform a join geometry.

Where's the project?

SkiSouth
2004-08-14, 03:23 PM
could not really tell from your section all the problems. Heres a little study model. Uses reference planes, slope arrows, in place family (for small triangle fill) Sloped skylights, dormers, Non parallel walls, etc. Note that there are two roofs with the small vertical fill - Could have been a wall, glazing etc - I just made it roof. The small flat area over the dormer was made using slope arrows.

Can't join roofs in all situations, I assume because cutting it so much. Perhaps a roof guru can fix that, but I'm out of of time.

Thanks for the post. Without it I wouldn't have explored slope arrows. Still don't understand all of it, but looks like a very strong tool...

jaime
2004-08-16, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the tip on reference planes I think that has sorted the rooflights. I think an inhouse family would be the best solution suggested for the mansard roof as it is too kinked and wonky for two extrusions. Might leave that one as I am only interested in the interiors for now.

Thanks all.

Oh it is in lovely georgian Bath by the way