PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Installation Question

dysart
2007-10-09, 04:36 PM
My office is in the process of adding many individual new seats of Revit and I'm looking for a faster way to load the latest build on local computers. From Revit's dowload site,
the "read this first" pdf says
""After the installation is complete, you can run the installer again on another machine by double-clicking the ‘Setup.exe’ file located in the installation folder.""

Does one simply copy all of these subdirectories and files to a new local computer and then run setup.exe?

I got a response back from Autodesk that doesn't really answer my question, see below

"you can specify this download folder to be somewhere that is located in shared location. After the installation is complete on one machine, you can navigate to the setup.exe on that download folder to install from for the rest of the machines. The only folder that you need to copy if you want to copy, is the Download folder a successful Revit installation."

I understand that one may choose any location for Revit files to reside upon installation, including network locations;
however, I would not want to choose a Network drive for a location of installation files, if that choice means that a local computer had to utilize network locations to operate. ( I understand the common need for Central files on network locations and other files such as templates and multiple families.)

I want to be able to run Revit on each station, even if the Network was down or for some reason, disconnected temporarily....

So, my question still stands. May I do a standard local installation on one computer and then merely copy the subdirectories from C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2008\Data - Download - Journals -Program with all their files onto another local computer and then run the Setup.exe file for the new installation?

I'm trying to avoid the time consuming, painfully slow initial installation time factor envolved with new installations..

Thanks,

Greg

Gregory S. Dysart, AIA

ps Would this strategy work for new build installations also?

dhurtubise
2007-10-09, 06:23 PM
At the first install theres a check box for Make that a deploiement or something. Use that method.

sjsl
2007-10-09, 07:36 PM
Network deployment is the way to go for that very reason. When properly setup and pathed correctly, yes everyone shares the same info, the next release will take no more than 3 min. per machine.

Don't be afraid, deploy my Boy!

tmomeyer
2007-10-10, 05:14 PM
Network deployment is the way to go for that very reason. When properly setup and pathed correctly, yes everyone shares the same info, the next release will take no more than 3 min. per machine.

Don't be afraid, deploy my Boy!

And, if you don't get the pathing exactly right in the deployment or you tweak it after deployment and later have more deployments to do, you can set the pathing in Revit.ini and delete the specific "username" in the file, leaving in "Username = " (or similar).

Tom

atbergma
2007-10-10, 05:28 PM
My question is - on build upgrades from network installs, do we need to to uninstall the previous version? Or will the installer do it automatically? I've seen differing anwsers to this.

dfriesen
2007-10-10, 07:17 PM
And, if you don't get the pathing exactly right in the deployment or you tweak it after deployment and later have more deployments to do, you can set the pathing in Revit.ini and delete the specific "username" in the file, leaving in "Username = " (or similar).
Does that make it take on the user's login name automatically?

dhurtubise
2007-10-10, 08:02 PM
Does that make it take on the user's login name automatically?

Yes it does

dhurtubise
2007-10-10, 08:02 PM
My question is - on build upgrades from network installs, do we need to to uninstall the previous version? Or will the installer do it automatically? I've seen differing anwsers to this.

If it's the same version yes it will overwrite but if you have previous version install you are not forced to uninstalled them.