PDA

View Full Version : Tagging walls in a legend

gordonp147484
2007-10-10, 04:11 PM
I am trying to set up all wall types sheet for reference, and while I can Tag By Material, which is great, I cannot seem to get any kind of BIMish tag for the whole assemble, something that shoes the wall type name. Also, I would love to actually dimension things in the legend, something we do all the time, but I find no joy there either.
I am hoping someone will show me the error of my ways. Otherwise I guess this is on the wishlist for 2008. :)

Thanks,
Gordon

jtobin.68416
2007-10-10, 04:18 PM
You should be able to tag By Category, and then use the 'Type Mark' field under Type Properties to reflect the value of that field.

Or, if that's not enough, customize the tag in the family editor to show any piece of information you want.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-10-10, 04:22 PM
Off to the wish list with you:lol:
Unfortunately, wall tags and dimensions are not available in legend views at present.
You can add drafting lines over your legend components and dimension to those.
There are a number of workarounds from pre-legend days involving phasing that do work. For creating an office standard sheet for walls I'd rather keep it clean and just do it with dumb tags for the wall type until the tagging feature becomes available.

gordonp147484
2007-10-10, 04:25 PM
You should be able to tag By Category, and then use the 'Type Mark' field under Type Properties to reflect the value of that field.

Or, if that's not enough, customize the tag in the family editor to show any piece of information you want.

When I try to Tag By Category I get nothing as I mouse over the wall segment. It is like the tag tool doesn't even see the wall. When I tag by Material the tag ghosts in, and the value changes as I mouse around. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Gordon

Steve_Stafford
2007-10-10, 04:30 PM
...It is like the tag tool doesn't even see the wall...It doesn't because techically speaking it isn't a wall. It is a symbol that looks like the wall. It is a symbol because we don't want that little chunk of wall to get added to a wall schedule and mess up quantities. The unfortunate side effect of this solution is that we can't dimension or tag these items.

It makes perfect sense that we should be able to tag the wall and display the actual type mark value or other information according to its properties. Having to place text that doesn't know these values means if the value changes it must be changed in the actual wall and the legend, two places, two places for mistakes. Good news is the development team understands this, bad news is they have for awhile now. Here's hoping it gets higher on the "honey-do" list.

gordonp147484
2007-10-10, 04:41 PM
It doesn't because techically speaking it isn't a wall. It is a symbol that looks like the wall. It is a symbol because we don't want that little chunk of wall to get added to a wall schedule and mess up quantities. The unfortunate side effect of this solution is that we can't dimension or tag these items.

It makes perfect sense that we should be able to tag the wall and display the actual type mark value or other information according to its properties. Having to place text that doesn't know these values means if the value changes it must be changed in the actual wall and the legend, two places, two places for mistakes. Good news is the development team understands this, bad news is they have for awhile now. Here's hoping it gets higher on the "honey-do" list.

I wonder if, along with "anything in a legend isn't counted or scheduled", they could add auto create and track a legend with items actually in use"? Wouldn't it be great if I just knew my BIM legend was actually accurate? Kind of like I know my Schedule is now? Indeed, a Legend really is more like a Graphic Schedule, and items in a schedule are not counted again in another schedule. Revit just keeps the Schedule updated vis-a-vis the model. Legends need to be the same, with the additional ability to tag and dimension.
And yes, I hope this gets more attention than Elevation Symbols ever has. Perhaps even as much attention as the Google Earth plugin? ;)

Thanks,
Gordon

jtobin.68416
2007-10-10, 04:42 PM
Sorry, didn't read your thread title and see that you were in a legend view.

Yes, tagging in legends was one of my picks for the current Revit Wish List poll. Currently It isn't possible, but it should be.

John Tobin

dhurtubise
2007-10-10, 08:08 PM
I still uses phases instead of legend for stuffthat i need to tag

CADMama
2008-01-07, 08:39 PM
I created a phase called Legend and it is created and demolished before Existing phase. This way a wall can be put on it and it will not show up in the Existing or New phases.
We can tag this to our hearts content and place it on a sheet just fine.

patricks
2008-01-07, 08:57 PM
I don't understand why you can't dimension a wall symbol in a legend view, but you can dimension doors and windows in a legend view. I've been using legends for my door and window elevations and frame types ever since legends were first introduced. But if I have to draw and place detail components on top of the wall symbol just to make it look right, then you might as well just do a Drafting view for that. Which is what we always do anyway (use a drafting view for wall types).

Now, if they would just ever fix that danged view number for legends placed on sheets!

dhurtubise
2008-01-07, 08:58 PM
I created a phase called Legend and it is created and demolished before Existing phase. This way a wall can be put on it and it will not show up in the Existing or New phases.
We can tag this to our hearts content and place it on a sheet just fine.

Thats what i've always done. I dont think legends are ready yet. And that technic works like a charm

CADMama
2008-01-07, 09:07 PM
Well at least the way I get it done let's you tag the walls also.

dhurtubise
2008-01-07, 09:23 PM
Well at least the way I get it done let's you tag the walls also.

That way you can dimension. I do the same with doors, windows, basically anything. Doesnt screw my schedule and allows me a 100% control.