PDA

View Full Version : Convert DWG to STL file in 3DS

jblack
2007-10-11, 01:56 PM
What are the steps for converting an AutoCAD dwg file to a stl file in 3D Studio Max?
Trying to convert the dwg to an stl file in AutoCAD is quite challenging to say the least. I was thinking of bringing the DWG file in Studio Max and converting it to a STL to lessen the challenge.

stusic
2007-10-12, 09:38 PM
Honestly, I've never used an .stl file before, but, following the common steps of Export->.stl, it seems pretty easy. Choose export, then set your export filetype as .stl, then choose between ASCII and Binary types and whether to export just selected objects or the whole scene.

Hope this helps...

gurudas.ku
2007-10-30, 09:29 AM
dude
Converting a model from autocad to stl is painfull job , bcoz Autocad converts only single entity to stl , the best option is import model to max and chek the model with stl check modifier, if there is no errors u can export to stl with ASCI/Binarry aswell
cheers

dellis
2007-10-30, 01:41 PM
What program is the .stl file ultimately going into? I would export them in both formats...ascii and binary. I can't remember which worked better for me...i think it was the binary one though. We use this format for our finite element analysis stuff when the models can;t be built within the FEA program.

gurudas.ku
2007-11-01, 08:53 AM
hi
there is no fixed programs for .STL its use as subformats in various platforms like trust files, ascii and binary are compressing formats

uherbania
2008-10-21, 09:40 AM
please help me to convert DWG file to STL file. I find it very difficult to do, please help me

gurudas.ku
2008-10-30, 07:43 AM
hi
to convert dwg to stl
fist step is covert dwg to block or one object and export to stl
one difficulty is autocad convert one object at a time so u can make ur 3d model to one block or object

marquez.stephanie
2008-12-02, 09:30 PM
Right now it seems like my drawings are one object, but is there a function to make it into an object? Should I just make a block? It keeps telling me that it does not find an object. Thanks,