PDA

View Full Version : 3DS import / open Revit files

jblack
2007-10-11, 02:38 PM
Does 3-D Studio Max open/import Revit files?

dellis
2007-10-11, 02:55 PM
Not Revits native file format. You have to export as a dwg and either use the file link manager or import the dwg directly. Post back if you need anymore help.

tobal7
2007-11-12, 08:49 AM
Hi Guys! I have a (hopefuly) new question for you...
I would like to import materials and lights along with geometry into 3ds Max from Revit. I have seen other threads and a tutorial explaining how to do this, but I've havd no luck in actually doing it with what I have in mind.
In 3ds Max, I import the exported acad files from Revit and set the Revit preset on the File Link manager (with material definitions and include lighting checked). the geometry is imported perfectly, but the lighting is nowhere to be seen (the light fixtures are there but no light source) and the materials are assigned but only with Revit's assigned "shading color" and specifications, the accurender map texture has disapeared.
So, now I dont know if I'm importing correctly or if I have to reasign the maps to the "imported materials"? Are the light sources really imported or just the fixture geometry? Is there a way to do this, or this is as far as it goes?
And help with this will be greatly appreciated....
Thanx!

gurudas.ku
2007-11-12, 10:03 AM
importing lights to 3dsmax is painful stuff becoz max will convert daylights to omni lights, so u will loose light exposure, so u can do lighting in max native

tobal7
2007-11-12, 10:35 AM
Thanx. I do suppose that would be the better option. But It still bothers me that Omnis are not even showing up (as imports) on 3ds Max. Do you know why that is? Ive attached a test file that Im using for this. Inside the zip is the revit, acad, and max file. In the max file, all the geometry appears, but no lights or material maps are recognised (they appear on the scene material/map browser but very basic). What step am I missing, or am I not looking in the right places?

dellis
2007-11-12, 02:21 PM
Accurender materials are not supported and will not be tranferred into MAX. You should consider doing all of the materials and lighting within MAX anyway....its very well suited for it!!!

tobal7
2007-11-12, 02:39 PM
Will do! I just had to know (since I do all the modeling in Revit).Thanx a lot for the clarification!

Steve_Bennett
2007-11-12, 11:45 PM
More specifically Accurender materials using procedural maps will not transfer through to MAX. If it uses a bitmap image for the texture or a plain color that will come through. However you may be tempted to convert the materials over to mr presets to gain a quick advantage on realism of the materials.