PDA

View Full Version : Fill Patterns from DWG imports

annl
2007-10-12, 05:14 PM
We are importing details and inheriting problematic fill patterns. They are automatically given a ".dwg-0" extension that increments. Once they have been imported selecting them to delete will invariably hang the Revit session. Has anyone found a way to prevent this other than editing the original dwg files?

Attached is a screen shot, showing several of these itinerant patterns.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

AnnL

Melarch
2007-10-15, 12:39 AM
I have learned from experience to import the minimal amount of AutoCAD geometry and objects. It has been my experience to not import hatch patterns or text with details, but to use the Revit Region Fill to add hatch patterns and text tool for text and leaders. This eliminates a lot of problematic issues and file size.

I have also learned my lesson on exploding any import geometry 2D or 3D from CAD files.

What I do is import only those layers that have the linework geometry and exclude bringing in layers with hatch patterns or text. This requires the CAD DWG to have its linework, hatch patterns and text on layers I can select when importing the CAD file. Of course I can always open the CAD file in the CAD program to turn off those layers (dependent on them being on layers I can isolate) and then importing it into Revit using Visible Layers.

YOu are aware that you can add any AutoCAD hatch pattern to the Revit.PAT file and therefore duplicate any AutoCAD hatch pattern for use in Revit.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.

annl
2007-10-15, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. You advice seems sound. My dilemma is that we're working with a project where the DWG hatch patterns were imported and we crash the model everytime we try to delete them. I was looking to see if anyone had found a work around for cleaning these up.

I appreciate your insights and having learned our lesson, we'll be following the program you outlined.