PDA

View Full Version : Belkin components

PeterJ
2004-08-14, 01:10 PM
I have a Belkin wireless access point on the network at home, which is 2/3 computers depending on whether my laptop is present or not. The WAP seems to have stopped working, is this just a function of Belkin products being cheap and nasty or should I be suspicious of it's short life (2 years or thereabouts)?

I wouldn't buy Belkin for the office but it was conveniently available when I had the Damascene moment that I could get rid of one of the ugly wires that Sandra was complaining about simply by going out and splurging on some hardware. I'm thinking it is simply time to toss it away and get some Netgear or some such. Any thoughts?

rhys
2004-08-14, 01:46 PM
Before you give up on it. Try reinstalling Belkin software etc. I thought one of mine was dead a few months ago reinstalling solved it. I still have the new one in the box as a result. My Belkin -router adsl wirless 54g - regularly overheats and needs to cool of for a few mins.
Is it only the Wireless bit thats not working is it just an access point or a router? Is it 54g? If not dump it.

ita
2004-08-14, 03:32 PM
Pete, we have a Netgear VPN router wifi and it performs excellently. Had it three years now and not a whimper. Great value for money IMHO.

PeterJ
2004-08-14, 06:38 PM
Well the piece in question is just a 811b, or whatever the terminology is, connection and I have switched off for a time and reinstalled software and all those sorts of things. I am thinking that it will cost less than an hours fees to replce so it is time to shop instead of mess around with it.

I have Netgear ADSL modem, router, WAP and firewall device at the office and it is a much better piece of kit. Stronger signal, more stable, better software etc. however, the first one burnt out after one year and one day, or that kind of annoyingly coincident time.

rhys
2004-08-14, 08:50 PM
54g is worth having with router and adsl in one - less wires and noticably faster, but you'll have to upgrade the laptop card to 54g if it's a thingy 811 sómthing b.