PDA

View Full Version : Need WA-licensed structural engineer

Ralph.143107
2007-10-15, 09:00 PM
This is my first post. I'm a self-taught Revit Architecture 2008 user since June. I just finished design of a 2-building 6-unit 12,000 sq ft condo project with a European-style fully-automated underground parking system to park 28 Hummers on 3 levels in the basement of one of the buildings. I couldn't have gotten this far this quickly without having spent many hours reading several thousand posts by other users on this and other forums.

Now, I have a problem. Over a month ago, I signed a contract with a WA structural engineer to do the structural design/analysis. He promprly cashed my retainer check and went into silent mode, not responding to emails or phone calls for weeks. Even if he were to call back today, my confidence level in his willingness and ability to do the work is low.

I need a WA-licensed structural engineer to do the structural work. I'm under a permitting deadline so the work needs to be done relatively quickly. It shouldn't be that difficult, since both buildings are similar and rectangular and symmetrical. The parking machine is entirely seperate from the building structure, so it just looks like a 22 foot deep "basement." It would be nice to find someone using Revit Structure, but that's not essential, since Revit Architecture seems to output clean DWG.

Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

mruehr
2007-10-16, 12:20 AM
where are you from ralph?

sonya
2007-10-16, 12:50 AM
the references to "condo" and "hummers" seems to indicate whatever US state abbreviates to WA

Ralph.143107
2007-10-16, 01:18 AM
Sorry, "WA" isn't Western Australia. It's "Washington, State of" (not DC), in the upper left corner of the continental (48 states) US.

I guess "Hummers" gave it away. People here drive 6400-pound (2900kg) empty-weight vehicles like the H2 to buy groceries. 55% of the vehicles sold in the US in 2005 were trucks. I spent a week driving around Down Under (New Zealand) last month, and was surprised to see all the SUVs (Sport Utility Vehicles) roaming the roads there, most with single occupants, despite gas being the equivalent of $US7.00+ per gallon. It makes you wonder how high gas has to go here before people will leave their shiny $US60,000 tanks in the garage (if they even fit) and start driving fun 1650-pound (750g) runabouts that get 48mpg (15km/liter?) runabouts like I do. I have to design the parking machine (length, height, & weight) for the likes of Hummers, GMC Yukons, Cadillac Escalades (which never gets better than 14mpg), and the many other species of gashogs which rule our roads.

Ralph

mruehr
2007-10-16, 02:05 AM
I had this niggling doubt
but was not sure we have a real V8 culture here and quite a few Hummers
there is certainly to much money for scared people
guess i had to many left turns with a SUV on my right

Michael