PDA

View Full Version : importing points into Cad from Excel

msanders.85217
2007-10-16, 06:33 PM
I need help and direction on how to import points from an excel (txt file) to create not only the points (listing the x,y coords, elev, etc.) but to also be able to rotate those points and see the 3-D image of them or should I say 3-D profile. The points file has Northing & Easting and Z elevations but when imported does only show 2-D for points and you can't do anything with the points, not even snap to them and draw a polyline between them (connect the dots). and all the settings in the points menu has been adjusted per say to create the 3-D polyline, but no go. This should be easy right? Is there something missing in the steps prior to inserting into Autocad Civil 3D that I'm missing out on, or is it simply something within Cad that I'm missing (such as a setting)? Thanks for any info anyone can offer. I have already had replies about using the Node snap for snapping to the points, but I need more info than that, like how to import the points from txt file with North, East, & Z elevations and 1st be able to import and it draw the line for me and 2nd to be able to flip the line on it's side to see the 3-D profile? Thanks.

Jmurphy
2007-10-18, 01:04 PM
If you use the C3D points import command with the basic point style to import the txt file you can export the dwg to vanilla AutoCAD format, that will convert the C3D points to standard autocad point entities allowing you to snap to node to create a 3d polyline, if that's what you are wanting to do. Then for a profile view switch to the front view using the view menu.
What are the points and profile of? There may be better ways to get where you want to go if we knew where you are wanting to go to and from.