PDA

View Full Version : Cutting an Opening that isn't Square???

KELLI
2007-10-17, 02:14 PM
I'm working on developing a floor sink family and I have the sink itself built, but with a lip that needs to be flush set into the concrete floor and the profile that it has, how do I create the opening within the floor? The opening command will only let me sketch in plan view and the void form doesn't cut the host family. Is there something I'm missing???

Help!

Kelli

cdatechguy
2007-10-17, 02:24 PM
Did you use a "Generic Model Floor Based" family template? When you use the void you have to tell the void what its cutting and not cutting using the Cut/Dont Cut/Join Geometry tools.

If the sink was already created you will probably have to insert it into the floor based model as a component for it to work.

jmctamney
2007-10-17, 03:00 PM
Did you try editing the floor and tracing the outline of the sink? In Revit structure we have a shaft tool which cuts through our slab but for irregular shapes I just edit the slab and sketch the shape of the opening. As long as you are inside the extents of the floor/slab Revit treats it as an opening. It just occured to me you might not be cutting completely through the slab. Do you just need a recess for the sink?

KELLI
2007-10-18, 04:22 PM
OK, I think I just need to get more familiar with the void tool then. I wasn't aware of the various cut/don't cut settings. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks!

Kelli