PDA

View Full Version : Only one wall offset option - is this correct?

barathd
2004-08-16, 06:08 AM
I am accustomed to having the option of offsetting walls from core face to core face (id or od) seems like Revit only allows you to offset center of wall to center of wall. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks

Dick Barath

beegee
2004-08-16, 06:18 AM
It depends where the loc line of the wall is located. The offset works from loc line to loc line.

barathd
2004-08-16, 02:34 PM
I meant to say - "without having to go to a d... dialogue box and change the setting." For how intelligent Revit is .... it is equally as dumb.

Regards

Dick Barath

Scott D Davis
2004-08-16, 04:06 PM
If you offset a wall 24" from centerline to centerline. Isn't that the same as 24" from outside face to outside face?

barathd
2004-08-16, 04:53 PM
Scott:

It certainly is - 24" is 24" no matter what.

Please follow me - here it is in ADT. Start to layout a building - draw one exterior corner. Offset from outside of wall by positioning cursor and then offset opposite outside wall (i.e. 40'). Now pick the outside wall and draw office. Position cursor on inside face of outside wall and offset wall (wall style of your choice) to interior dimension (i.e. 12'). Basically the cursor allows you to choice which type of offset you want no messing with dialog boxes.

Wish the ADT and Revit brains could get together (I realize the programs are totally different) and gleam out the gems that exists in both programs and come up with the better METHODOLOGIES.

Regards

Dick Barath

aaronrumple
2004-08-16, 06:01 PM
I think you'll find most Revit users just sketch without paying too much atention to getting the dimensions perfect. I know you do this in ADT because changing things later is too much of a pain. In Revit, I'll sketch, push things around a bit until I'm happy with the design. Then I'll run a string of dimensions and adjust the building using the dimension strings. I find this much faster than trying to get everything right on first placement and better mimics the iterative process of design.

hand471037
2004-08-16, 08:27 PM
I'll second that. It's much faster in Revit to work sloppy and then make things accurate, which is the total oppisite from Acad/ADT.

For example, when I do as-builts for a house, I'll take my laptop, walk the house, and make a rough sketch of the whole plan. Then I'll add face to face dim strings into every room, then make a second 'loop' through the house measuring, entering in the distance to the proper dim string, and then locking that dim string. The house 'organically' grows outward/inward, until I've got my as-built. And it takes way less time, to, then how I used to do it in AutoCAD.

Also, when I would teach Revit, it was the same. All the people will lots of AutoCAD/ADT experance were taking great pains to draw everything right the first time, because it's such pain to change anything in AutoCAD/ADT sometimes, and the system as a whole isn't helping you in any way to maintain some level of precision. Once they let go of that, they found that they could work just as accurately and much faster by working in Revit's 'way'.

In Revit, lines/walls heal, you can directly enter the distances like AuoCAD/ADT when drawing, you can effortlessly change dimesnsions after something's been drawn, and the snapping distance changes on the fly depending on your zoom- so it's easy to 'trust' the system, even when working sloppy and then making it right.

So, instead of trying hard to draw the wall perfectly the first time, simply draw the wall where it's going to be, and then click on it and alter the dims to put it exactly where you want it, and you'll find, I think, it to be consiterably faster and just as accurate.

BillyGrey
2004-08-16, 11:02 PM
I'll third that, and if you want precision from the outset, I've even used gridlines to layout
my major rectilinears, then run my walls in/out on those, and lock them to the grids...
Revisions at that point mean running dim's to gridlines, highlighting the gridline, and entering desired value. It's all so much better, but remember what as Scott's sig say's, "you must unlearn..."

The cool thing is, even though you can design and then refine in a much looser fashion at the outset, you end up with a much more precise model in the end, as "fudging" is not allowed:

"draw it like you build it"

cheers

Scott D Davis
2004-08-16, 11:07 PM
but remember what as Scott's sig say's, "you must unlearn..."I've thought of changing it several times, but it just fits so well....I had Yoda as my avatar for awhile back in the Zoogdesign days....

BillyGrey
2004-08-17, 02:27 AM
At a minimum, to all the newb's in Revit, it fit's :)

I have heard that little phrase in my head time and again
when bustin moves in the 3d scape.

DICK!

it gets easier...

when you find (or write) a prog that meets all of your expectations, I'll line up first to buy it ;)
(but I think I already have)