PDA

View Full Version : Revit model size compared to total DWG sizes

cadpoobah
2007-10-18, 03:56 PM
All,

Our IT department is assessing potential changes in storage needs as we expand our use of Revit. I would like to give them some idea of how the size of a single Revit model would compare with the size of same project done in AutoCAD. Would the model be larger or smaller than the total size of all the individual DWG files? Is there a ballpark percentage difference?

Thanks!

dgreen.49364
2007-10-18, 04:07 PM
I don't have any numbers to back this up, but my guess is that the files size difference between a single Revit model file and the total of all the AutoCAD files of the same project would be negligible. With the size of storage devices these days, my opinion is that storage for Revit is not the issue. The real IT issue is CPU speed and RAM at the workstation level and network speed for accessing those pesky 100 mb Revit files across the network.

That's my opinion. I know it's not what you were asking.

Andre Baros
2007-10-18, 08:21 PM
We did an assesment of our server storage about a year ago and found that cad and Revit files were tiny compared to all the digital photos and scans people were storing for each project. Like dgreen said, it's speed not size that's the issue.

chodosh
2007-10-18, 08:37 PM
The Revit project file is really not a good gauge of this in and of itself. You need to look at the larger picture of the backup folders, the temp folders (Revit_temp), etc. Also, all of this fluctuates drammatically and is usually higher when engaged by users, especially multiple users in a Worksharing environment.

As everyone else is suggesting, I would redirect your IT investigations to the workstations, the RAM, the video cards, etc. This will be of paramount inportance to the team when their files creep into the 100MB size and larger.

Best,
LC

m.thomas
2007-10-19, 12:38 PM
Depending on your office standards the size of the Revit model will be in ADDITION to the size of the Autocad files.

We have the Revit model from which we generate Autocad and pdf files which are issued to the team.

Elmo
2007-10-19, 01:53 PM
You can safely priorties a terrabyte drive if your a medium sized firm. Smaller firms usually get away with about 500 gb. I wouldn't know where to start with the larger firms since it could go up to 3 or 4 terrbytes if needs be.

cadpoobah
2007-10-19, 05:18 PM
Depending on your office standards the size of the Revit model will be in ADDITION to the size of the Autocad files.

We have the Revit model from which we generate Autocad and pdf files which are issued to the team.

Good point, m.thomas.

While the ultimate goal is to reduce the need for DWG files altogether, we will continue to have clients or consultants who will need us to deliver DWG files to them, so this would result in some additional storage needs. Theoretically, though, we may be able to delete (or archive) the files after they are delivered.