PDA

View Full Version : equipment schedule...kitchen design

ntnik
2007-10-19, 03:58 PM
a two parter: I have created a kitchen made of "specialty equipment" which are made up of composite families from the specialty equipment template (not hosted). Hope i have worded that correctly. In addition to the kitchen equipment components of the kitchen i have some plumbing fixtures and other "types" of things. I think i would preffer to combine different "types" of things (specialty equipment, plumbing fixtures etc.) in the schedule. Is that possoble?

part two: I have made all of my model pieces (kitchen eqipment) from the specialty equipment template. They are accurate in terms of dimensions to the shop drawings of the individual pieces, but they are just simple boxes (that are scheduling for the most part very nicely (refer to part one) in plan and elevation. I need a suggestion to make the drawings look less dumb. How do i add detail to these? ( door swings, rails, burners etc) simply draw on the models? sketch on elevations with detail lines? I do not want to model them ( i preffer acurate models but i want to retire in 10 years or so, so i dont have the time for that). may just need to be content with dumb (accurate) boxes and fight other fires. Suggestions appreciated

DoTheBIM
2007-10-19, 04:46 PM
part 1: look into multi-category scheduling. you'll need some way (another parameter) to filter out all the stuff you don't want in the scedule though.

part 2: if you're goint to reuse the content in other projects, put the detail in the family and set up the visibilities how you want them to work in a project. If you ever think you want a shaded view or rendering of the object at least model the basic stuff. if it's a one time use type of thing put the detail in the project view and forget about it.

bbeck
2007-10-19, 04:53 PM
Revit will allow you to schedule just about anything you want. Take a closer look at "shared parameters".

As for family creation, the specialty equipment that you're working on, I always challenge my staff with one question. Will this family ever been seen by the client rendered? If the client will never see it rendered then I prefer to have families built 2D-view correct and not fully modeled. I allow all of our staff to create 2D view correct families that are not parametric. For more complex families, 3D modeled, parametric and scheduleable, I prefer to handle those myself. I then review jobs as part of our QA process to find content that should be shared firm wide.

Scott Womack
2007-10-19, 06:27 PM
The other quick way is to actually fill out the assembly codes in your families. You can filer for a schedule by these assembly codes. This is a paramter built into ALL families by default.:beer:

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-10-19, 10:18 PM
You can add linework visible in various views to the simple 'box'. You can then turn the box off so all you see is the lines in elevation and section views.
As Brian suggested, if you don't need to see it in 3D then don't bother modeling it in any more detail than required to convey the information.

If you only need 2D representations then create the linework as symbolic linework. If you want to see the lines in a 3D view then create them as model lines.

twiceroadsfool
2007-10-20, 07:43 PM
You can also see if the manufacturers have DWG (2D) files of the actual equipment, on their website. If they do, you can put those in the family as Linework, or as a Detail Component, to show up in the elevations and plans.

Someone else has probably already drafted it, might as well take advantage, haha...

The rendered question is a good one, but even then you have to ask yourself how much is it necessary for them to see. If they hand selected the equipment, then they know what it looks like already. We keep a "Generic" material in the library for items like that. Its a little over glossy and partially transparent, to remind onlookers that its just a size representation.