PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Index, Wall Assembly Schedule

three_yees1748
2003-07-17, 11:13 PM
Hey all,

I am a novice with Revit and I have a few questions which I hope you all can provide some input on.

1. Is there any feature in Revit that can help automate creating a Drawing Index?

2. What is the preferred method for creating a wall schedule which has a picture of the wall assembly and a list of it's wall components? You would think this could be done since all the information is available in the wall type editor.

3. Similarly, when creating a door schedule, what is the best way to show a drawing of that door with dimensions?

I have done a seacrh in this forum and I have not been able to find any relevant posts. If this has already been covered, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance guys.

Scott D Davis
2003-07-17, 11:43 PM
For your number 1: Goto View>New>Drawing List. This creates a schedule of all sheets in your project, and updates as your sheets change. This schedule can be placed anywhere in your set as a drawing index.

2. Walls can be scheduled, but I'm not sure about adding pictures. Would be a nice feature!

3. Many have requested door and window elevations that can be placed on a Door Schedule sheet. Someone posted a trick here once, to create a temp. wall, place a door, and then be able to delete the wall and have the door remain. I can't remeber how do do it. But you could then make a callout of the door elevation to place on your schedule, and dimension it.

gregcashen
2003-07-18, 02:04 AM
For your number 1: Goto View>New>Drawing List. This creates a schedule of all sheets in your project, and updates as your sheets change. This schedule can be placed anywhere in your set as a drawing index.

2. Walls can be scheduled, but I'm not sure about adding pictures. Would be a nice feature!

3. Many have requested door and window elevations that can be placed on a Door Schedule sheet. Someone posted a trick here once, to create a temp. wall, place a door, and then be able to delete the wall and have the door remain. I can't remeber how do do it. But you could then make a callout of the door elevation to place on your schedule, and dimension it.

For 2, I would suggest that somehow users need to be able to access the same image that is displayed in the wall properties preview screen to place on schedules.

jbalding48677
2003-07-18, 06:16 AM
1. See Scott's answer above.

2. See #3

3. You could use a drafting view and draft the elevation ala AutoCAD and dimension it, and place it on the schedule. Not the best solutoin, but it works. You could also import a dwg of the elevation/wall type to a drafting view and use that. Not the best solution, but it works.

beegee
2003-07-18, 06:28 AM
To get a detail of the wall assembly, you could also take a screen shot of the properities preview window, import that into a drafting view and trace over it adding notes. It would be best to use a paint program before the import, to clean up the image.

Not very elegant, I'll admit, but do-able. :wink:

beegee

PeterJ
2003-07-18, 08:40 AM
Aaron Rumple has suggested a neat trick previously and this is my take on it....

Create a 'management' phase before any other phase and in that draw a wall with all your door and window types inserted and dimension them, select all these items and demolish them in the management phase. Set a new phase filter and set it so that only 'temporary' elements are displayed and make sure they are displayed by category.

From the above you can produce elevations, jamb and head details, all divorced from your project. I suppose you could also produce a fine detail drawing showing your wall build up with no difficulty either.

You need to be a little careful in later schedules to make sure your door phasing doesn't pick up the doors from the management phase, but aside from that you have a workable solution.

If this doesn't work you can also take elevations of each door type from suitable point in the project.

Pete

gnl
2003-07-18, 12:52 PM
This last suggestion brought up by PeterJ is something that sounds interesting and that can be used for other issues also.

Regarding the #3, I think that as in many countries, especially here in Europe, architects have to provide a door and window schedule with the elevations of the components, the best way to do it would be to be able to integrate a View in the schedule tables directly. This would keep consistency throughout the project following one of Revit's technology strength's.

And that is one of the things that Archicad can do (wasn't mentioned in that Archicad Propaganda thread...) automatically.
It drives me crazy when I have to say these things.... as I was a long time ArchiCad user now switched to Revit...

Ciao
gnl

brentcarlson892079
2003-07-18, 01:50 PM
3. Similarly, when creating a door schedule, what is the best way to show a drawing of that door with dimensions?

I have done this in a drafting view with detail components.

Kevin Janik
2003-07-18, 03:47 PM
Someone suggested a long time ago to just place an elevation at each door and then turn off all of the walls in hose views as well as other items and then you can drop them on your schedule sheet and dimension them. You also have to hide the elevation tags in the plan view(s) you created them.

Dean Camlin
2003-07-18, 08:50 PM
I use Kevin's method, but crop each door elevation view down to align with the edges of the frame. Then, when I drop the view into the sheet (typically near the door schedule) I make sure each elevation has a minimal view title so it doesn't take up too much room; the title is keyed to a type mark column in the door schedule. For those interested, I'm attaching that view title family.

bclarch
2003-07-18, 09:27 PM
With regard to wall types. Perhaps you could cut sections through the relevant walls and hide the section markers in the drawing views. Then place the sections on the wall schedule sheet with the image cropped to a minimal size and the view level set to fine to show the construction.

clarkitekt
2004-05-25, 07:38 PM
Regarding door and wall types for the schedules, could you not create a "design option,' call it "wall types," or whatever you like and then place your walls types with doors and windows for scheduling, create your views and place them on your schedule sheet? You would have to make sure that this design option is only on in the views you are using but should work...right?

jwilhelm
2004-05-26, 04:23 AM
This is clearly something that the Revit team needs to address, I have used callouts on the elevation that I simply crop and place on the window schedule sheet and I hide the callout in the respective elevation, this and all the mentioned methods are "workarounds", Revit "must" do better
at this and wall types and some other basic features. (and no doubt will), for those who don't know you can request features directly via email at Revitsupport@Autodesk.com, lets hold their feet to the fire and make sure Revit fullfills its potential!