PDA

View Full Version : Family Types/Geometry Question

trythefly
2007-10-24, 11:46 AM
Can different family types display different geometry? If so how?!? I do not want to create another family for different sizes of the same part.

I have a part I am creating, when it gets to a certain size the basic shape changes to something completely different.

aggockel50321
2007-10-24, 12:50 PM
You could do it by adding a visibility parameter to each of the parts.

Then when you set up your family types, on family types that display one type of part, uncheck the unused part's visibility parameter, and visa-versa....

trythefly
2007-10-24, 01:12 PM
You could do it by adding a visibility parameter to each of the parts.

Then when you set up your family types, on family types that display one type of part, uncheck the unused part's visibility parameter, and visa-versa....

That makes sense. How do I force each object to be visible/non visible inside the different family types?

mjdanowski
2007-10-24, 01:36 PM
That makes sense. How do I force each object to be visible/non visible inside the different family types?

Multiple ways, but the easiest is to use the "Visibility" check box under the properties of a geometry element and link that to a yes/no type parameter.

trythefly
2007-10-24, 01:41 PM
Multiple ways, but the easiest is to use the "Visibility" check box under the properties of a geometry element and link that to a yes/no type parameter.

That was a huge help! I like how it greys the non-visible objects.

Thanks much.

trythefly
2007-11-06, 08:28 PM
How can I tell connectors when to be visible in each family type?

The family I am creating has 2 round duct connectors and 2 square duct connectors.

mjdanowski
2007-11-06, 09:23 PM
How can I tell connectors when to be visible in each family type?

The family I am creating has 2 round duct connectors and 2 square duct connectors.

Unfortunately, "non-visible" does not mean "not-present." Connectors will always be there, so if you want to have square and round connectors you will need two different families.

trythefly
2007-11-06, 09:39 PM
Foiled again!

Thanks Matthew