PDA

View Full Version : Scale of rendered views

swissclive54638
2004-08-16, 04:09 PM
Why do rendered 3D perspectives display a scale when placed on a drawing sheet, when it is clearly not to scale?! The problem is that the scale box on our titleblock displays 1:10 (or whatever we change it to in the properties dialog), which is misleading.

Is there any way around this problem? Thanks.

slb
2004-08-16, 05:12 PM
Strange! It's only the rendered views. Unrendered 3D view (perspective and default) do NOT show a scale. We'll look into it on our end.

In the mean time, I've attached a view title tag which can be used in a new Viewport type which does not contain scale data:

o Load the tag into your project.
o Select the Rendered Perspective viewport from the drawing sheet.
o Select the property dialog.
o Select Edit/New...
o Select Duplicate...
o Set the Title Parameter to use the newly loaded tag "View Title - no scale"

LRaiz
2004-08-16, 05:58 PM
Saved renderings are not really special kinds of views. In reality they are simply drafting views that have captured jpeg placed into them (you can add additional drafing elements to these views). I think it would be better for these views to report their scale as 1. I think it is a bug that they report their initial scale differently. One way to confirm my sizing assertion is to place captured rendering and original view next to each other on a drawing sheet. Observe that they are exactly the same size and the size on drawing is exactly the size of unrendered view as indicated in the option bar when view cropping boundary is selected.

swissclive54638
2004-08-17, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your help.

I think it would be useful if the scale was reported as "NTS" or "Not to Scale". Suggesting a scale of 1 implies that the rendering is still to a specific scale, which is not the case (even though, as you say, it is a 1:1 version of the view).

LRaiz
2004-08-17, 03:36 PM
My previous post was incorrect. The scale reported by Rendered views is not 1:1; it is as reported. You can place drafting lines or text in these views and measure their sizes. Sizes are in correspondence with reported scale. On the other hand raster image has its own size parameter that you can examine by selecting the image and pressing properties button. The initial size of raster image is exactly the size of captured view.

However you are correct in pointing out that users are justifiably confused by reported scale value because they don't understand what is going on. It would be good to address this confusion in the UI of render capturing. For example when capturing Revit can explicitly tell user that it is going to create a new view that could be used for drafting and ask for a scale value to be used in this view.

swissclive54638
2004-08-17, 04:05 PM
I understand why the view is reported as such. My main concern is that the SCALE parameter that appears in our titleblock, reports a scale of say 1:10, which is incorrect for a perspective.

We do have a workaround - a separate titleblock without the SCALE parameter, which we only use for rendered perspectives, so it's not too big an issue.

Thanks again for your comments.