PDA

View Full Version : data extraction from multiple blocks

eric.kirk
2007-10-26, 01:25 PM
I have looked but probably cant get the wording just right to find the answer.
I am using autocad 2008 and am trying to extract data from 2 different blocks, and I can do this just fine. The problem I cant understand is how do I get all the data from one drawing to be on one line, I get block1 info in columns 2-5 but block2 info is in column 1, this is all well if i could get block 1 and 2 to share a line. The only solution i can come up with is to make another block that is pulling the attributes from the two original blocks and then pull the info from there. But my 2400 drawing set makes it a massive task.

P.S.
I will probably get this down by the time some one answers but it there a way to use a formula in an autocad table to combined text lines, i.e. "Section AA" and "View between 3-5".
Into "Section AA: View between 3-5".

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-10-26, 08:33 PM
How different are these to blocks? When the data extractor pulls from the blocks what are you trying to pull? ATTRIBUTES, GENERAL , GEOMETRY, Etc. this is found on page 3 or 4 (Select Properties) of the Data Extraction Wizard. If its ATTRIBUTES for each attribute in the block you will have a different column.

My first suggestion is data extract the info to an Excel File and fix it there.

To the P.S. The answer is NO at this time text and formulas do not play nice together. I'm hoping that changes.

eric.kirk
2007-10-29, 02:45 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to get title block information out. I have 2 blocks one has the title, description, file and the other has the revision level. I made a block that pulls the info out of both blocks into one, and even combinde the 2 description lines to one, using 'fields' but they are apparently not the same across more than one drawing. I is there any way that I could use the 'tag' instead of a 'filed' like maybe a 'field' that would use 'tags' to find things?
I don't know if this can be done, I have looked all over and have yet to find any one that can use a tag as to pull its data in to somewhere else.
Thanks for any help on this matter.

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-10-29, 05:11 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to get title block information out. I have 2 blocks one has the title, description, file and the other has the revision level. I made a block that pulls the info out of both blocks into one, and even combinde the 2 description lines to one, using 'fields' I is there any way that I could use the 'tag' instead of a 'filed' like maybe a 'field' that would use 'tags' to find things?
I don't know if this can be done, I have looked all over and have yet to find any one that can use a tag as to pull its data in to somewhere else.
Thanks for any help on this matter.

What do you mean by this "but they are apparently not the same across more than one drawing."?

eric.kirk
2007-10-29, 05:15 PM
the same tag in the same block in 2 different drawings.

%<\AcObjProp.16.2 Object(%<\_ObjId 2116084968>%,1).TagString>%

%<\AcObjProp.16.2 Object(%<\_ObjId 2082953360>%,1).TagString>%

is there any way I could use the "block name" instead of this "Objld # " ?

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-10-29, 05:35 PM
Well what I'm thinking is this.

Create field

field category .............objects
Field names................NamedObject
Named object type......... blocks
Name..........................(name of your block here)
Format ..................................choice of text case

I'm not sure why you are creating your own expression for it

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-10-29, 05:39 PM
The Object ID will of course be different. This is for AutoCAD to keep track of it. If you copy a block several different times. Each one will have it own Object ID.

eric.kirk
2007-10-29, 05:42 PM
I am sorry i dont think i have made my self clear, this does work fine for one instance, but I am trying to make a block that I can place in a drawing and with out any work it will pull the info I am wanting from the 2 blocks, without having to relink the fields. I am wanting a field that does not include that object #(since it is not the same)

Capt. Computer Crasher
2007-10-29, 05:53 PM
Have you looked at a macro

eric.kirk
2007-10-29, 05:58 PM
I have not, I don't know anything about them, i will have to look into that, if you have an suggestions, I need all the help i can get.
I just think it is so backwards that you can't pull data with the 'tag' name
Thanks for the help though