PDA

View Full Version : Better Quality Tif Image

Griff
2004-08-16, 09:12 PM
The only information I see on the "Raster Image Quality" in the EXPORT IMAGE dialog box is 72 dpi (grayed out). Is there a way to set a Tif image to a higher quality export?

aaronrumple
2004-08-16, 09:24 PM
DPI is irrelevant. Number of pixels is what determines overall resolution. Export more pixels.

Griff
2004-08-16, 09:50 PM
Thanks Aaron for the quick reply!!

So I would guess it's just a trial and error thing. The more pixels the better quality, the larger the file. Have you got a size that you know prints good?

Thanks again

SkiSouth
2004-08-16, 10:20 PM
Thanks Aaron for the quick reply!!

So I would guess it's just a trial and error thing. The more pixels the better quality, the larger the file. Have you got a size that you know prints good?

Thanks again

Go to this link http://www.iboost.com/build/graphics/tutorials/wgforbeg/744.htm for a quick summary of pixels vs dpi. Note that Pixels are usually refered to for monitors, cameras where as DPI is related to Printing. They are essentially the same, simply a "dot count". You have more "dots" you have a higher quality image.

Its more a function of how long you can wait, and what type of machine you have. For photorealistic, the minimum I would go with would be 300 DPI, 480 if your printer will do it. 600 will kill you timewise unless you have a true hoss of a machine. - Of course that also depends on the size of the image.

An 8x10 (for printing on 8.5x11 paper) at 300 DPI is an image that is 19.9 Megs in size. A 480 DPI image the same size goes to 50.8 Megs. If you need a higher res photo, you might try imaging lower (at 300) and using Photoshop to up the resolution.

As time will be involved in processing, try your image at 72 DPI, to get a rough feel. Once you're satisfied with the image jump to 150 and do a couple of more tests, then go to 300 DPI or higher. Also, ALWAYS save before starting your rendering. You never know what will lock your box up (or if you have to abort to handle an emergency).

BillyGrey
2004-08-16, 11:27 PM
If your output is going to remain in your computer, then do as Aaron suggests, otherwise...

As Skisouth alludes to:

You really need to use your desired output requirements as your baseline.

It depends heavily on your computer and printer/plotter. Most 1rst/2nd gen cad plotter's, while good at plotting, were poo at poster/rendering style work. Usually 300 dpi machines. Most new gen large format printer/plotters understand the cross requirements placed upon them now, and start at 600 dpi and can run up to 1200/2400dpi.

Also, if you are doing photo/photoreal/color renderings in large format, be aware that the color you see on your monitor is not ness. the color your plotter will produce Expect color shifts, and be prepaired for color profile adjustments.

It also depends on the software you use to process/print, and wheather or not your computer or printer is equipped with a RIP.... much to consider.

Bill

Griff
2004-08-17, 07:15 PM
So, if I wanted to change the DPI in Revit to larger than 72, how do you do that?

mikefields27
2004-08-17, 08:00 PM
If you want to adjust your image size by using a DPI range, set your "Zoom to" = 100% "of actual size" and the DPI box will be editable.

It usually makes more sense to do this from a sheet layout so you have a reference to the size of the printable media.

-msvf-