PDA

View Full Version : tapered post cap

mhudson
2004-08-16, 09:42 PM
sounds simple, but I just can't figure out how to do this:

I'm trying to create a 6" square post that has a tapered (pyramid shape) cap on top. I cannot seem to find a way to create a solid that fulfills my need - quite simply, how in the heck do you create a solid pyramid? Granted, I just came back from vacation, but am I looking over the obvious?!?

Scott D Davis
2004-08-16, 10:20 PM
Does it have to be a 'perfect' point? what if the base of your pyramid were 6" square, and the top was 1/32" square? (see attached)

If it must be 'pointed' then you will need to use an in-place family void to cut the sides of a cube into a pyramid. Easier to use a Blend with a very small top.

sfaust
2004-08-16, 10:21 PM
If you want a true pyramid you will probably have to create a solid triangular extrusion and a void at 90 degrees to it to cut the other two sides. Otherwise you can do a blend with a square at the top that is very small (i.e. 1/8" on all sides).

sfaust
2004-08-16, 10:22 PM
dang, too slow

rodneyf
2004-08-17, 11:43 AM
I have created a baluster that has a pyramid top on it however every time I try to use it in a railing style it gives me an error and won't let me insert into me railing style. All I did was create a solid then used a void sweep to make my pyramid top and was done. Maybe with what you are trying to do and what I have done already we might be able to create something that we all can use. If anybody want to take a look at it here it is.

aaronrumple
2004-08-17, 01:21 PM
It looks like you stated with the baluster panel template and not the baluster post template. Paste and constrain the geoometry into a balustrade poste template...

aaronrumple
2004-08-17, 01:33 PM
Also. It would be best to create your extrusion in plan and extrude up. This will let you easily make the size parametric in plan. Secondly it will allow you to attach the viod path to the top of the solid so it will move up/down parametrically. Finally you'll want the sweep profile to be parametric (even a cut angle could be added in.)

rodneyf
2004-08-17, 02:06 PM
Aaron,
Thanks I will look into it and let you know my final results.

Thanks,

mhudson
2004-08-17, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the replys. I have used the void sweep so that I can get a point at the top.

Rodney, I have attached the file that I am using for the project. It has a cap instead of just a chamfer that you showed in your file - but, I hope that you can find it useful.

However, here is a question that I'm going to throw out there - what is the 'post' check box for in the baluster post family template? I didn't check it and used it anyway as a post in my railing family.

Scott D Davis
2004-08-17, 04:23 PM
what is the 'post' check box for in the baluster post family template?
A balluster can be a "post" or a smaller vertical 'rail' element. You may have 'posts' every 4'-0", and balusters spaced every 4" between the posts.