PDA

View Full Version : phasing issues - new windows in existing openings

bskripac
2007-10-31, 04:19 PM
I have a existing exterior wall where I am demolishing an existing window. I want to then place a new window in that same location as part of the new work. I can get my phase filters set up but when I go to place the new window in the opening the infill from where the old window was removed is still showing even after I place the new window. This may be a good thing in some locations but I would like to get rid of the infill so the new window will read correctly.

Any ideas?

ws
2007-10-31, 05:18 PM
As most of my work is alterations of existing buildings I come across this sort of thing all the time.

Have a look at this thread on the subject which might help a bit generally:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=51504

Beyond that I've resorted to hiding bits in Views, although generally a 'Completed' filter View is mostly OK - it's the 'Show All' filter setting in New Construction Phase Views which I like to give to contractors which has existing, demolished and proposed all marked, where the real problems occur - particularly in elevations where inserting a new window or external door in the position or partly across the position of an existing opening will cause the new window or door to partly disappear.

In your case you will find an improvement I think if you move the new window fractionally off the plan position of the demolished - i.e. to the left or right.

patricks
2007-10-31, 06:45 PM
Well I deleted your new window, and then placed another one in that piece of new wall from the demolished window, and it worked fine. The new window cuts away all of the new wall just like it should.

Then I deleted the new window, but then placed another new one in the existing wall, away from where the old window was demolished. Then I dragged it over to that portion of new wall, and got the result you posted (new wall and new window showing in the same place).

I think the problem is which wall is hosting the new window. If you place the window where the new wall shows, even if it's only partially over it, the new will will host the window and it will cut properly. You can then drag it into final position if needed.

If you place the new window entirely in the existing wall, then the existing wall is hosting the window, not that small piece of new wall. Then if you drag it over the new wall, both show because the window isn't actually cutting that new wall.

bskripac
2007-10-31, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys! The tip of where I placed the window resolved the issue. It needed to have the new window hosted by the "infill" portion not the existing portion. The other link will be good to refer back to as well.

ws
2007-10-31, 08:36 PM
thanks also for that Patricks - makes a lot of sense :)

bskripac
2007-11-01, 12:50 PM
I found a little bit of a hiccup with this fix. If the existing wall were to move or be modified in any way then infill pattern seems to come back. I realize it's an existing situation, but at some point you may find a dimensional error or something but I thought I would bring it up to see if anybody has encountered this before.

ricardo.o.maciel
2007-11-16, 12:43 PM
I had the same issue -- see attachment. The renovation doesn´t have new walls, just new replacing windows. Some windows disappear after any intervention in/around the wall. This doesn´t happen if the wall section of the window is artificially demolished and rebuilt, which is not practical.

I am using the following work around: reset the opening by changing the new window sill height and returning it to the previous value. This always works.

However, the opening remains unstable. The wall "swallows" the windows at any tweak, so I have to watch them continuously.

Is there a better way to resolve this situation? It looks like the closest to a bug I´ve found in Revit.

ricardo.o.maciel
2007-11-16, 01:29 PM
OK. Good and bad news.
I found a few windows for which the workaround of changing and returning sill height didn´t work.
A new one: Slightly offset sill height. I used 1 mm (1/25..4") offset and so far worked for all windows... Don´t know yet if they will be stable.

ws
2007-11-16, 02:05 PM
thanks Ricardo - I have also played around with moving left right and up, down to help with this, but I still see odd lines from Existing Phase window or door openings appear in New Construction 'Completed' Views - also sometimes edges of New Construction Phase created openings will disappear from the Completed View if part crossing a demolished existing opening.

I can make 'Working' plans for contractors where existing, demolished and new all show together but in elevation this is unusable as there are too many conflicts - in particular the new openings often only partially appear in Elevation if overlapping with an existing opening.

It's an area that the Revit developers could do with having a look at.

The attachment shows a simple changed opening - the New Construction 'Show Complete' on the left but the new door disappears in the 'Show All' filter setting in a New Construction View.

billspa
2007-12-06, 07:50 PM
Today we had the same existing wall, new window issue...
The elevation - missing window - was solved easily with the linework tool.

We still can't figure it out in plan. Meaning, in plan, cut lines perpendicular to the wall length are not showing...

david.fannon
2008-01-30, 11:28 PM
We're also seeing this behavior and man is it frustrating. Even joinging a new wall to the exisitng wall kills our windows. One suggestion I got was to make the existing ones a bit bigger (1/4" or so) on all sides so that the new window would not be exactly the same as the infill wall. I guess that's fine as we're not scheduling the old one, and we will be removing material and refinishing, but I'd sure like a better scheme.

bskripac
2008-01-31, 01:54 PM
One of the ways I have found to fix this is to create a new wall type for the demolished door and window openings. This new wall type was set up to have a 2” thickness and have a solid fill pattern that was green or something obnoxious so it would visibly show up. The idea was that we would switch all of the opening to that wall type and apply a view filter to that wall type so it would always be not visible. Even if we modified that existing wall somehow the infill demo walls would always stay off and it was isolated to one wall type. Things seem to be working pretty smoothly with it.