PDA

View Full Version : Double wall with door through both

CADMama
2007-11-01, 01:23 PM
OK - joining the walls won't work in this situation. Both walls have to be scheduled.
I have to place a door that goes through both walls that are back to back.
Any ideas?

This is for a modular home situation where the door is in the joining walls.

Do Joined walls both schedule? Can I keep the line between them?

Rols
2007-11-01, 01:35 PM
I had a similar situation with the connecting doors of hotels.
I ended up creating an offset door that would be inserted into one of the walls and would appear to be centered between the two walls.
As for the second wall, I created a wall hosted opening family that matched the size of the door.
It's not perfect, but it got the job done.

abarrette
2007-11-01, 02:20 PM
The joined walls should schedule if you use join geometry. If you are looking for a separating line between the two walls you will have to add that back in depending on your detail level.

dgreen.49364
2007-11-01, 06:32 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why not create a new wall that shows the combination of structure of both walls.

CADMama
2007-11-01, 07:59 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why not create a new wall that shows the combination of structure of both walls.

Then I can't schedule it as two walls. This is for a double wide manufactured home.

dgreen.49364
2007-11-01, 08:23 PM
I don't know how you set up your wall schedule, but in ours, we have a description of the wall assembly. That description explains the double wall condition which gives the contractor the info he needs to price it correctly. I'm not trying to be stubborn but in the Revit world of workarounds, I find this method to be the cleanest, IMO. Then I can bring in doors or windows and not have to deal with workarounds.

CADMama
2007-11-01, 08:29 PM
Well - they have to set up each wall seperately - the door section is cut out of each wall and those walls are matched up in the field when the two halfes are put together. Then the door is placed in the wall.

This could be a make or break on this deal for this company to move to revit.

Brian Myers
2007-11-01, 08:35 PM
So a special "extra large" door family won't work?

In other words, place a door in one wall with a large frame opening to span the other wall then simply create a door sized opening in the other wall?

It's just a workaround off the top of my head..... (it's actually the same as Rols suggestion that I just read...)

CADMama
2007-11-01, 08:43 PM
So a special "extra large" door family won't work?

In other words, place a door in one wall with a large frame opening to span the other wall then simply create a door sized opening in the other wall?

It's just a workaround off the top of my head..... (it's actually the same as Rols suggestion that I just read...)

Guess I could try to add a void to that side of the door. Anyone tried that before?

dgreen.49364
2007-11-01, 08:49 PM
OK, simple workaround. Assuming 6'-8" high, 3' wide door. Create 3' wide, 6'-8" tall opening in each wall, align openings. Create fake wall, by that i mean, give it a designation that will allow you to filter it out of the schedule. Create 3' long, 6'-8" wall in center of opening, from end of opening to end of opening. You'll get an error message about walls overlapping, etc. Ignore it. Add 6'-8" tall, 3' wide door in that new wall. Won't effect your wall schedule and you can deal with the details at the detail level and it will take about a minute.

Brian Myers
2007-11-01, 08:59 PM
Guess I could try to add a void to that side of the door. Anyone tried that before?
I believe that won't work, I'm fairly certain it won't allow you to cut the second wall with the void...

Brian Myers
2007-11-01, 09:07 PM
You know Donnia, having 2 door openings (1 scheduled door) can fairly easily be sold to them as a "realistic construction" process. When doing these double wide units, they must have manufactured them with two openings "closed in" or "united" by one door. Really, the process you would need to do in Revit is likely the same as they would be required to construct it in the field/factory. All you need to provide them is one door with a door frame that works, then an "opening" for them to place on the other side... it's likely the same as how the unit itself is constructed.

jtobin.68416
2007-11-01, 09:33 PM
The joined walls should schedule if you use join geometry. If you are looking for a separating line between the two walls you will have to add that back in depending on your detail level.

To display separate walls, we found that in coarse mode you can force it to draw the line in automatically by ensuring the two joined walls have two spearate coarse-scale fills.

Then Revit draws a line, even in coarse mode. We often create dummy coarse fills for that reason.

John Tobin

CADMama
2007-11-01, 09:42 PM
OK - so this is a lot to try - but in the morning. I am heading out.
What a bunch of great ideas though. If I do ever get this I will certainly post the file.
G'night

nancy.mcclure
2007-11-01, 09:54 PM
You know Donnia, having 2 door openings (1 scheduled door) can fairly easily be sold to them as a "realistic construction" process. ...All you need to provide them is one door with a door frame that works, then an "opening" for them to place on the other side... it's likely the same as how the unit itself is constructed.

I agree with Dilbert - Revit gives us the means to represent true construction in a way not made possible by 2D CAD, so use that to your advantage! If the fabrication of this assembly would be two separately created walls, with 2 separately created openings, installed and then joined by a single door with extended/modified frame trim - model it as such! Especially if accuracy in material take-offs is a driving factor.

There is usually more than one way to get from here to there, but if you know what sights along the path you'll want to see, that will probably define the route you ought to take.

Have fun with it!

tc3dcad60731
2007-11-02, 12:32 AM
I know it has nothing to do with your original question BUT.................. I have a contractor that wants to use one of those 6 sliding door units that disappear into the wall. You know three on each side and as you push one it will overlap onto the other until they are all into the wall giving you a HUGE opening.

Steve_Stafford
2007-11-02, 04:57 AM
I know it has nothing to do with your original question BUT.................. I have a contractor that wants to use one of those 6 sliding door units that disappear into the wall. You know three on each side and as you push one it will overlap onto the other until they are all into the wall giving you a HUGE opening.Is this a rhetorical post?

Steve_Stafford
2007-11-02, 05:09 AM
Walls that are joined using Join Geometry do schedule separately. If you create a wall that has a very thin common layer on the shared edge you can get a line if you use Detail Level - Medium. The layers need to overlap by their thickness...fiddly... I attached an image.

tc3dcad60731
2007-11-03, 12:19 AM
~looking embarassed~

No I just did not read fully Donnia's post. I read it strictly as splitting the home in half and not the need for the double wall as in my post.:Oops:

That is nice to know that we can schedule them seperately. I just have to figure out how I want to model it and show it. Very good tips here on getting started with that.