PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Renderserver from ArtVps with Mental Ray?

hand471037
2007-11-01, 05:54 PM
Anyone here using a Renderserver from ArtVps with Mental Ray?

Someone I know is looking at possibly buying one, and I'd love to talk to someone who's using one currently.

Thanks!

stusic
2007-11-02, 12:28 AM
I looked at one until I saw the price tag. I got the info they sent. I just don't see how one $10,000 machine, no matter how fast and smooth-running it is, can beat five $2,000 machines... I think it's more paying to "plug in and go" than actual paying for performance.

If you still want to take a look without having to deal with the sales pitch, PM your email and I'll forward it to you.

hand471037
2007-11-02, 01:17 AM
I looked at one until I saw the price tag. I got the info they sent. I just don't see how one $10,000 machine, no matter how fast and smooth-running it is, can beat five $2,000 machines... I think it's more paying to "plug in and go" than actual paying for performance.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. They used to sell a different package that used a different rendering engine that actually could be a heck of a lot faster on their special hardware. But only if you used their shaders and stuff, and I guess it wasn't that big of a hit for now they are selling this Mental Ray box as well as their own.

Seeing that Backburner allows for unlimited (well, close to it) instances of Mental Ray running across a network I think picking up a few identical but cheap boxes is gonna work better.

Thanks!

dellis
2007-11-02, 11:21 AM
Yeah....can't beat a hand full of quad cores.