PDA

View Full Version : railing ontop of concrete walls?

RobG
2007-11-01, 11:02 PM
Can a railing be placed ontop of a concrete wall?
I have a few different conditions...

1- a 2' high wall with a railing that's 1'6" high to act as a guard rail of sorts
2- the same wall at one end slopes down to the ground

I can't seem to set the wall as the host.

Thanks

nancy.mcclure
2007-11-01, 11:30 PM
Create a new railing type of reduced height, placed with an offset that corresponds with the top of your low concrete wall.
-or-
For a quick resolution to the sloped section (for visuals, but know that this will schedule for a full height railing, as created) try using the Ramps tool, and then embed the ramp end (with railing) into the low concrete wall. I've done this for existing pipe-rail conditions where I wasn't concerned with an accurate material schedule. I've not been pushed to make a more true-to-construction method, but maybe this is it...

Hope that helps!

RobG
2007-11-02, 01:52 AM
so can the railing not be associated with the wall though?
say i have to move the wall, that means i have to move the railing also, compared to with stairs, if i move those the railing goes with it. I'd like to avoid using the ramp for the end so that i can schedule it as a wall type and not a ramp..

this is rather frustrating..

Steve_Stafford
2007-11-02, 02:53 AM
Sorry Rob, at this time railings can only be hosted by stairs, ramps and floors.

patricks
2007-11-02, 01:53 PM
so can the railing not be associated with the wall though?
say i have to move the wall, that means i have to move the railing also, compared to with stairs, if i move those the railing goes with it. I'd like to avoid using the ramp for the end so that i can schedule it as a wall type and not a ramp..

this is rather frustrating..

Nancy was saying to hide a narrow ramp inside your wall to host the sloped portion of the rail. You would still have the wall there and it would still schedule as normal.

bclarch
2007-11-02, 02:06 PM
If the wall has a cap you can make the cap as a ramp or floor.

nancy.mcclure
2007-11-02, 10:54 PM
If the wall has a cap you can make the cap as a ramp or floor.
Now THERE is a good idea! A thin, concrete ramp that you could then join the top of the below concrete wall to.

Nice thinking, bclarch!

mruehr
2007-11-05, 01:48 AM
This is my take on this
use the Custom height correction in the railing to adjust to the height of your wall
you can lock your sketch line to the wall ...
change the Rail balusters not to extent to the host
the railing is a railing and the wall is a wall
(Revit Haiku)