PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Numbering on the sheet

rlwade.68242
2004-08-17, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know of a way to have your drawings automatically number themselves according to the location on the sheet. For example I use a map grid coordinate system for numbering my drawings ie A1, D5 and so on. Is there a way that Revit could see the location of the drawing title on the sheet and number it accordingly and then if you move it it would automatically change to the new location?

aaronrumple
2004-08-17, 04:53 PM
No. In fact our office uses letters - not numbers. I've recommended changing to numbers since this is the only automated system in Revit. We are constantly forgetting to change a number to a letter...

rlwade.68242
2004-08-19, 12:08 AM
even if you use numbers don't you still have to change them unless you insert each drawing in the exact sequence of how they will be laid out on the sheet?

beegee
2004-08-19, 12:32 AM
Once a view is placed on a sheet, you can change its detail number under view properties.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-08-19, 12:55 AM
This issue has become insignificant for me. Revit automatically updates all occurances/references of detail numbers/sheet numbers etc. throughout the drawing set so it's easy to rearrange your sheet layouts without fear of messing up the numbering and cross references stay intact.
Revit will number details in sequence, as they are placed on a sheet.

jwilhelm
2004-08-19, 07:40 PM
It would be nice to be able to relocted details on a sheet and have Revit automatically renumber them in sequence, perhaps based on a layout grid, it would be a real timesaver, I often find myself moving details around and its a pain to have to renumber a bunch of details.

sfaust
2004-08-19, 08:40 PM
I agree with HCSL. While this would be nice, I wouldn't (personally) place it at very high priority because it is just a matter of changing 8 or 10 number max-there is no going back to check all your callouts and markers to make sure they all get changed. I can only see this saving half an hour a week at most.

Definitely would be on the list of "Stuff that would be neat" though.

adegnan
2004-08-20, 11:35 AM
Probably one problem, though, is that you need to make number changes twice. If I want to renumber 1-5, I usually find that I need to renumber them 11-15 first and then back to 1-5 so that none of the numbers double up. Otherwise I scratch my head for a bit, figure that 1 need to be 3, 3 needs to be 4, 4 needs to be 2, and... which one do I start renumbering to avoid the conflict??

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-20, 02:17 PM
...which one do I start renumbering to avoid the conflict??...I usually start at the highest number and work down.

adegnan
2004-08-20, 02:58 PM
Well, that was kind of rhetorical, actually. Yes, I find that numbering backward often works. But if you have the exact number of views on the sheet already it doesn't necessarily even work.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-20, 04:04 PM
...kind of rhetorical... Sorry...here's another answer for your answer to my rhetorical answer to your rhetorical question...

5 views on a sheet, need to renumber...I renumber the highest number to something different and then just work down...but yes it isn't very intuitive.

I'd like to be able to draw a path or just pick the views in the order I want and have Revit re-order the numbering according to that sequence.