PDA

View Full Version : Creating a ceiling generic model

stephmre
2007-11-02, 09:49 PM
The idea is to create a metal panel ceiling dropped to 8’9” that needs to be shaped around columns and applied against a curtain wall. However, the dropped ceiling will need to cover a beam on one edge producing a metal panel soffit up to the 11’ acoustical ceiling. To do this I created an extruded model to specify the ceilings parameter and joined a 2” wide vertical panel (also an extruded object) along its parameter. Is this the best way of doing this rather than forming a new family? I need to be able to edit the ceiling system on each floor.
And if I can do it this way, I cannot assign any family type or overall name to it to recognize it.

luigi
2007-11-03, 02:01 PM
Not sure if I understand the issue you described at the end of your post.
You are using a ceiling system family for the horizontal...good,nothing you described illustrates not being able to use it.(sketches around the columns, sketches up to the curtain wall, etc.)
You are then creating the vertical as an in-place component....ok...I have done that before (although I usually like using the wall, and is my preferred technique)

and you mention something like an overall name? I am not sure what you mean by this...each in-place family you create has a name...and although it seems like it isn't there at times...if you look at the project browser the name comes up. If you then select it by the browser, then you can edited.....but maybe that is not the issue you are having at all....?

The idea is to create a metal panel ceiling dropped to 8’9” that needs to be shaped around columns and applied against a curtain wall. However, the dropped ceiling will need to cover a beam on one edge producing a metal panel soffit up to the 11’ acoustical ceiling. To do this I created an extruded model to specify the ceilings parameter and joined a 2” wide vertical panel (also an extruded object) along its parameter. Is this the best way of doing this rather than forming a new family? I need to be able to edit the ceiling system on each floor.
And if I can do it this way, I cannot assign any family type or overall name to it to recognize it.