PDA

View Full Version : Revit Can't Find Linked Files

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-05, 05:07 PM
Ok, I have a very interesting problem. At the end of last week I had a revit file that was working perfectly as far as the linked cad files in it were concerned. But now when I open it up today I get an error that says constraints aren't satisfied because it can't find the linked CAD file in the floor plan - we have dimensions, alignments, etc based on this imported CAD file.

I searched around and found an answer that if I renamed / relocated the file that maybe it would work. I did that and I get the second error. Revit at least remembers the CAD files and shows them (doesn't blow out the constraints, dims, etc) but still says they are missing. If I try to reload the CAD files from their location I get the first error again of constraints not satisfied.

I noticed on the second error that the locations it gives for the linked CAD files are wrong. It says they are at: G:\Revit\2007\Drawings\CAD\ when they should be at G:\Revit\2007\07-11 MCR MOB ASC\Drawings\CAD. I tried putting the CAD files where revit thought they should be and I get the constraints error again. I also noticed that the links are relative not absolute - I don't know if this has any effect or not. I tried changing them to absolute and then reloading but they go back to relative for some reason.

I am completely out of ideas on this one - anyone else run into this and perhaps a solution?

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-05, 09:04 PM
Ok, I figured out that because they are relative it is trying to find the path relative to where ever the revit file is (I'm kind of thinking out loud here). The weird thing is that whenever I get the path of the linked CAD drawings to match up with where the Revit file is looking - the linked files blow up in Revit and lose all of their dims, constraints, etc. When it doesn't match up then it says it cant find them and loads the state they were in the last time it was saved. But then if I try to reload them everything blows up.

I thought that this would mean that there was something wrong with that folder / files that were linked in. I restored that folder to a date before this happened but I'm still getting the same result.

DaveP
2007-11-05, 10:18 PM
Are you just moving the files around with Windows Explorer, or are you also using Reload From?

Once you've got the DWGs where you need them, make sure you go into Manage Links and Reload From the "new" location. Even if it's the same location, you'll reestablish the path by using Reload From .

You do want Absolute, BTW - I've never really understood what Relative is supposed to accomplish. Let me rephrase that. I understand what its supposed to accomplish. I just don't understand how Revit gets there. It makes sense if you can do the old DOS ..\..\ trick, but from what I understand, Revit makes the Relative from your LOCAL copy, not the Central. Which makes relative kind of pointless. Plus, it seems to save the UNC Path anyway.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-05, 10:24 PM
Well that's part of my problem - when I use reload from the dwgs get blown out and I lose all of my dims and constraints that rely on them. They end up 165748' - 6 153/256" @ 44.871 degrees away to be exact. I have no idea why they are doing this. I tried exporting the view into AutoCAD and what appeared surprised me: the referenced dwg was right where it should of been - lined up with the Revit material. So I tried moving the base dwg stuff the amount I said above but everything still blows up and the referenced file doesn't even show up on the screen - even though Revit still shows it there in managed links.

Next time I'll just recreate the shell building using phases...doh!

DaveP
2007-11-05, 10:33 PM
Any UCSs in your DWGs?
I've seen that kind of thing happen when you're not in WORLD UCS and PLAN view.
(God, I hate remembering those commands)

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-05, 10:40 PM
Here's the thing - the referenced .dwg hasn't changed since June of this year and we ran into the trouble today (it was fine on Friday). So I'm thinking something happened with Revit.... I could be wrong though, I'm at a loss with this one.

chodosh
2007-11-06, 03:18 PM
Have you modified your Project North?

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-06, 04:40 PM
No. I actually didn't even know you could change that until just know, shocking as that may seem.

truevis
2007-11-08, 02:51 AM
Have you modified your Project North?

I thought one modified True North, and the Project North was always at the top of the screen. Am I wrong?

sbrown
2007-11-08, 04:51 PM
I have this exact experience. I think its just revits problem with things far from 0,0. But I couldn't get it reproduced on their end. Basically for months a dwg stays in the right place, then one day you open it and its move 1000's of feet down and to the left(probably the cad 0,0. I think it maybe a ucs issue but don't know.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-08, 06:50 PM
I know Revit has issues with things far from 0,0 - should I always make sure our dwg backgrounds are moved to a 0,0 point before we import/reload them? Just to stay on the safe(er) side?

sbrown
2007-11-08, 06:52 PM
Absolutely. If you can move the acad geometry close to 0,0, and just tell your civil how far it has to move to get to the right spot in his drawing you will save yourselves serious headaches.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-08, 08:20 PM
I figured that would help - now I just need to get everyone else in the office to remember to do the same.

sbrown
2007-11-08, 09:09 PM
How many people does Matt have working for him?

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-11-08, 10:03 PM
2 and a half. Me and another guy and then we have a part-time CSU student in here as well. When I say get everyone else to remember to do it, I mostly mean Matt. :)

chodosh
2007-12-02, 01:48 AM
No. I actually didn't even know you could change that until just know, shocking as that may seem.

um, er... goofy typo... but on retrospect not entire incorrect if you rotate views to create varying . I honestly did mean True North. Project North is a conversation for another thread... oops.

-LC