PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough camera target elevation

patricks
2007-11-08, 03:32 PM
Is it possible to make the camera look up or down along a walkthrough? What about going up or down a flight of stairs? I thought I remembered reading that it was possible but I can't seem to find it now.

dazza163968596
2007-11-08, 03:45 PM
You can change the target position by editing the path and changing the camera target at each key frame position. You can do this to the direction in a plan view and change the elevation of your target point in a section or elevation view.

As for making the camera go up stairs you need to manually edit the path of the camera by selecting path from the controls drop down list in the edit walkthrough bar then adjust each key frame node in a section or elevation view.

jeffh
2007-11-08, 03:46 PM
Try this. It should be on the Autodesk Knowledge Base but it is not for some reason.

TS1059822
Title TS1059822-Modifying camera height and target height in walkthrough
Question When you are creating a walkthrough in Revit, you would like to control the camera and target heights.

Answer You can use the Options bar to modify the height of the camera placement when you insert the keyframes of the walkthrough. The camera target has to be dynamically adjusted after the walkthrough keyframes have been placed. To adjust the camera position in a walkthrough.

- On the View menu, click New > Walkthrough.

- On the Options bar, note the Offset value and the From value. This is the height the camera will be placed at when you click a point for a keyframe of the walkthrough.

- Before clicking a point for a keyframe set the offset as required. If you have selected different heights at different keyframes, the camera will change height on a continuous slope from one keyframe to the next keyframe.

- Once you have placed all of the keyframes for your walkthrough, click Finish on the Options bar.

Editing the camera target position can be done from any view, but the height has to be modified in a section/elevation or 3d view.

- Open the view/views you need to make the modifications to camera target.

- In the Project Browser, right-click the walkthrough. Click Show Camera.

- On the Options bar, click Edit Walkthrough.

- Now you can drag the camera to the keyframe points that were established when you created the walkthrough. With the camera placed on a keyframe point, you will be able to select the target point of the camera and drag it to the correct position. The target point can be selected in plan views and in section/elevation or 3D views to change the height of the target.

patricks
2007-11-08, 04:05 PM
Yeah I just figured out that you can hit F8 in a walkthrough key frame and rotate the camera around or up and down, and then the frames before and after it will adjust accordingly.

ayu3839
2008-01-24, 04:41 PM
Try this. It should be on the Autodesk Knowledge Base but it is not for some reason.

TS1059822
Title TS1059822-Modifying camera height and target height in walkthrough
Question When you are creating a walkthrough in Revit, you would like to control the camera and target heights.

Answer You can use the Options bar to modify the height of the camera placement when you insert the keyframes of the walkthrough. The camera target has to be dynamically adjusted after the walkthrough keyframes have been placed. To adjust the camera position in a walkthrough.

- On the View menu, click New > Walkthrough.

- On the Options bar, note the Offset value and the From value. This is the height the camera will be placed at when you click a point for a keyframe of the walkthrough.

- Before clicking a point for a keyframe set the offset as required. If you have selected different heights at different keyframes, the camera will change height on a continuous slope from one keyframe to the next keyframe.

- Once you have placed all of the keyframes for your walkthrough, click Finish on the Options bar.

Editing the camera target position can be done from any view, but the height has to be modified in a section/elevation or 3d view.

- Open the view/views you need to make the modifications to camera target.

- In the Project Browser, right-click the walkthrough. Click Show Camera.

- On the Options bar, click Edit Walkthrough.

- Now you can drag the camera to the keyframe points that were established when you created the walkthrough. With the camera placed on a keyframe point, you will be able to select the target point of the camera and drag it to the correct position. The target point can be selected in plan views and in section/elevation or 3D views to change the height of the target.
if I want to have a walkthrough flying around the entire site, how to set up the camera steadily and set the focus always to one point?
Thanks

jeffh
2008-01-24, 05:16 PM
if I want to have a walkthrough flying around the entire site, how to set up the camera steadily and set the focus always to one point?
Thanks

The last section of my response tells how to change the target point for the camera. un fortunatly there is no real way to "snap" the target to a specific point. You edit the camera target position by dragging it in plan and can change it also in elevation. But you kind of have to "eyeball" the position to point at a consistant target.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-24, 07:22 PM
If you create a section view and open it along side the plan view you can select the path and then jump to the section to adjust the camera target in elevation. You can use a ref plane in the section view to get the positioning pretty close.

Bill Gilliss
2011-12-01, 02:54 PM
Yeah I just figured out that you can hit F8 in a walkthrough key frame and rotate the camera around or up and down, and then the frames before and after it will adjust accordingly.

Yes! That is so great. Thank you. (Note that you have to be in a key frame, not an intermediate one.) Also -- the only tool on the Navigation Wheel that has permanent effect here is the Look tool. All the others in one way or another move the camera, and these movements are not saved with the key frame - you need to edit their locations on the Path to do that.