PDA

View Full Version : Walls and Rooms....what gives?

cdatechguy
2007-11-08, 11:24 PM
Had an issue come up with one of my models, where even though there were walls from floor to ceiling, the room tool would not bound to the walls. All the walls were connected and no openings. Its like some of the walls were invisibile to the Room tool. I got by this by adding a Room Separation Line on the wall. So I figured this was just me and I forgot about it.

I just found another user that has the same issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and know what causes this? And of course how to fix it?

aaronrumple
2007-11-08, 11:35 PM
Had an issue come up with one of my models, where even though there were walls from floor to ceiling, the room tool would not bound to the walls. All the walls were connected and no openings. Its like some of the walls were invisibile to the Room tool. I got by this by adding a Room Separation Line on the wall. So I figured this was just me and I forgot about it.

I just found another user that has the same issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and know what causes this? And of course how to fix it?

That is a feature of Revit. Check the walls' property. I'll bet the "Room Bounding" box is unchecked.

Teresa.Martin
2007-11-09, 01:20 AM
Aaron beat me to it. Exactly! Room bounding needs to be checked. However, if it is checked and still not working...that could be an interesting little problem!

cdatechguy
2007-11-09, 04:01 PM
Ahh....yes....I will have to go down there and see if that was the case. I always forget about that lil check mark...

cphubb
2007-11-09, 10:38 PM
We have run into half a dozen case where the room bounding was checked and the room still did not work. We deleted the wall and drew another in the same place and the room was fine. I think walls get corupted or something and lose the ability to bound rooms.

jeffh
2007-11-09, 11:22 PM
We have run into half a dozen case where the room bounding was checked and the room still did not work. We deleted the wall and drew another in the same place and the room was fine. I think walls get corupted or something and lose the ability to bound rooms.

Sometimes when this happens you can also try cutting and paste the wall back into the same place to correct the issue.

cdatechguy
2007-11-12, 04:04 PM
Sometimes when this happens you can also try cutting and paste the wall back into the same place to correct the issue.
Thanks....I will keep that in mind. I have had the situation where even though the box is checked the room does not border properly either.

Steve_Stafford
2007-11-16, 02:38 AM
I encountered a project file once that wouldn't report any area on one level. The walls were fine. I noticed that a fair number of Openings (Modelling menu > Opening) had been created in various walls. On a whim I started to remove and put back the openings one at a time until I found one that seemed to affect the ability of Revit to display area. Just deleting the one opening resolved it. Fwiw, the wall in question had also had its profile edited to create another opening nearby. Haven't encountered it again since.

jaroguy
2008-03-10, 04:17 PM
I have seen this in an area were a curtainwall meets an brick cavity wall. The problem seemed to be with the curtainwall. I clicked on the curtainwall to display the grip at the end of the wall and right clicked on the grip and clicked "disallow join". Than my room area would "bound" again.

If nothing else works give this a try.

Jason