PDA

View Full Version : Category Graphics confusion

ron.sanpedro
2007-11-09, 04:06 AM
I assume this applies to all three, so I ask here.

In an elevation or plan the Projection lineweight of the Stairs/Stringers subcategory acts as expected, as does visibility, color, etc. Projection settings also affect a stair in section as expected. However, the cut settings of the Stringer do nothing in section. Instead the cut settings for the main Stairs category affects stringers, treads and risers. However, that suggests that the cut lines setting for Stringers should be grayed out just like the Cut Pattern is, as changing the setting actually does nothing. Indeed the Cut Pattern for the main Stairs Category does indeed control Cut Pattern for all three parts of the stair, and as I said, is grayed out as expected.
I am not sure I really need to control the cut representation of stringers separately, but the fact that the setting is available and yet does nothing seems to be a bug to me, and given the complexity of category graphics, a bug in a very bad place. ;)
Or am I missing something, and that setting really does do something, just not what I would expect?

In addition, when I change the color of the Stairs/Hidden Lines subcategory, but leave the Line Pattern as No Override I get my color change, and a solid line. Change the color back to No Override and the Line Pattern returns to that which is set in Object Styles. Seems to me that if the Line Pattern is not overriden that means it shouldn't change. Also a bug?

And one more. There is a Stringer subcategory under ramps. And yet I can't figure a way to make a ramp with a stringer. Which is a bummer, because I might actually want to make a ramp with a curb (stringer). But perhaps more importantly, is this just a subcategory with no associated objects? And also with Ramps, there is a Ramps/Ramps Beyond Cut Line subcategory, and yet when I make a ramp that actually spans between levels, I never get a break line and Beyond representation. What gives?

Dang, another. In a Floor I know the Common Edge in section is the line between materials. But why a Projection lineweight? You can't see the materials of the floor in elevation. And what is the Interior Edges about? I was thinking it might be the edges of a hole cut in the floor, but that doesn't seem to be the case in either plan or section. Indeed I can't seem to find anything that uses that subcategory.

And lastly, has anyone actually found a use for so many Hidden Lines subcategories, or would it be better to just have one Hidden Lines for all categories? Perhaps a wish list item?

Thanks,
Gordon