PDA

View Full Version : Ten Commandments -split from Construction Docs poll

gbrowne
2004-08-17, 12:38 PM
OK, since my last message I have started drawing up a new simple small standalone building, probably perfect for a total revit job. I have already had to create a couple of titleboxes, room tag styles, stuff like that. It's like an adventure, coming across problems and working it out! I have been using LT since it was called "Light" and its like learning to walk again.. General question: does everybody use just 3D content, or do they draw up 2D lines, just like regular CAD for use in plans? Or to put it another way, sometimes an epiphany is needed, so any Revit "10 commandment" type rules I should try to adhere to?

PeterJ
2004-08-17, 09:07 PM
Here's four, no five....

1: Model things using a 10 foot (3 metre) rule, i.e. don't add too much extraneous detail to families that can be picked up where necessary in detail views later on, as excess detail in families will slow your model.

2: Use families for that which will show in more than one view, not detail lines.

3: Use 2D families for items that will not be seen in renderings, say sanitary equipment, lift cars etc., but do a search on keyword miser/user aaronrumple to get a feeling for how to get the very most out of lightweight 3D families using 2D elements, this will improve drafting time overall.

4: Keep working on your template. Update it during every project at this initial stage and after every couple once you get going.

5: If you are using the group tools then ensure everything you wish to use is a discrete object and not hosted by a wall or a floor that may not form a part of your group. It will make your lifea much easier.

It's not an exhaustive list but it's a starting point.

Sorry Aaron, it's just how I remember that very informative thread.

PeterJ
2004-08-20, 11:17 AM
No other takers?

gbrowne
2004-08-20, 12:44 PM
Ahhh! I found it. Anyway that is great, not sure I fully understand everything...

For example: templates. In regular CAD I had a template all set up for my title blox, sheets, layers (!) etc, I take it you mean similar?

Here's another question. Do you use floor plan levels purely for floors and manipulate heights of walls etc through top and bottom offsets? Probably obvious, but its those sorts of little things that are useful to new (ish) users.

As they say, thanks in advance!

gb

PeterJ
2004-08-20, 04:32 PM
For example: templates. In regular CAD I had a template all set up for my title blox, sheets, layers (!) etc, I take it you mean similar?
Similar, yes, but in greater depth than AutoCAD. Your Revit template can contain everything you use as standard, title blocks, favoured window types, stair forms specific to the style of work you produce, line-types, lineweights, annotations.

Scott D Davis
2004-08-20, 04:42 PM
Revit template can be very powerful. If you take the time to thoroughly set one up, from the moment you place your first wall, the drawing set is being produced. I can place one wall, one door, and one window, and my set will already contain a floor plan sheet, RCP sheet, Elevation sheet, door schedule, and window schedule.

gbrowne
2004-08-21, 02:38 PM
ok here is another one for you. I work in Glasgow and we do a lot of fit out work in iregularly shaped victorian buildings with stone walls sometimes a couple feet thick. How do you draw existing non standard non rectilinear wall types? And in elevation would you draw these out with their funny shaped openings and details? I forsee this a drawback of the BIM rationale. Standalone new build is one thing, but this is another..

gb

SkiSouth
2004-08-21, 03:47 PM
Revit can handle it. The irregular shaps in plan are not a problem. Irregular wall thicknesses and irregular sloping walls would be handled with an in place wall family ( You couln't make it a wall family to reuse. ) Depending on the quantity of irregular openings you could make a window family with variable parameters or make an in place window family. Sounds like work, but not a lot different from Autocad. The major difference is that when you finish, Revit will point to the issues or flaws generated by the proposed solution.. Watch for posts of problems on this forum and you will be very pleased with all (well most anyway) that the modeling aspects of Revit has to offer.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-21, 07:39 PM
...fit out work in iregularly shaped victorian buildings with stone walls sometimes a couple feet thick. How do you draw existing non standard non rectilinear wall types? And in elevation would you draw these out with their funny shaped openings and details?...Are we talking about modeling intentional existing irregularity or construction methods that resulted in this mishapen condition? Intentional non-linear forms that require documentation for construction is one thing but to document deformity and perhaps poor fit and finish is another.

The irregular forms are non parallel, plumb or perpendicular by what measure...10cm, 10mm? Can these be perceived while standing in the room? Will they have an impact on the structural integrity of the bldg? What is the acceptable tolerance for your documents?

I'm not sure I see the value in modeling a slight bow of a wall for documentation. If it is existing or to be removed, does it matter if it is drawn straight? After all what wall is truly straight and plumb? If it is a new wall with a curve that must be achieved then obviously the wall must be documented accordingly.

Similarly if the wall must have a bulge by design then it makes sense to document the bulge more carefully with several sections in several planes. But the wall in plan could simply be straight with a dashed line and note to indicate the bulge.

To model and document irregular window and door openings seems to be a futile effort unless there is work to be done to alter them or create them purposely mishapen.

Finally, the trades who ultimately place their work inside must be concerned with this irregularity so the fit and finish of their work doesn't make matters worse. But we don't traditionally provide them with field dimensions, normally we require them to do their "homework".

Just a perspective from outside your "box"...take it with the proverbial "grain of salt"...