PDA

View Full Version : Pre-highlighting Speed

Archimac
2004-08-18, 08:31 PM
Sometimes I get a warning about changing my diplay settings because the pre-highting speed causes a lag. I am not sure if this means to turn off open gl. Where would I do this?

I am not sure of the exact message since is presents it only occasionally. But I am experiencing frustrating lags.

Thanks

Clyne Curtis
2004-08-18, 09:06 PM
If you go to your display properties you will be able to adjust your hardware acceleration to whatever level works for your particular machine. My desktop PC will only work if the acceleration is turned completely off, but my laptop works with full acceleration. Revit 6.1 on both systems. Go figure. Hope this helps.

Clyne

Archimac
2004-08-18, 10:09 PM
I tried turning it off and it was worse. I have a notebook. I thought there was a setting some where for openGL?

Scott D Davis
2004-08-18, 10:28 PM
Tools>Options>General Tab, Check box for "Use open GL"

Archimac
2004-08-19, 12:22 AM
Thanks, it is under Setting/options, but I found it. Turning it on seems to make it worse. Is OpenGL not supported in Revit?

Thanks

(Edit by SD: oops, sorry! Settings>options)

beegee
2004-08-19, 12:25 AM
Problem:

Revit has been tested on the following graphics/video cards and found them to NOT function properly as OpenGL hardware accelerators when using Revit.

Solution:

4.x Graphic Cards tested and NOT Supported--------------------------------------------3dfx Interactive(16MB) 3dfx Voodoo3 (16MB) ELSA Gloria Synergy (8MB)ATI Fire GL2ATI RAGE MOBILITY 128 AGP 4XDiamond Fire GL1000Nvidia Riva TNT (16MB)Matrox Millennium G400 (32MB)NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 Model 64 (Dell)NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 Model 64 / 64ProClients have also reported that the following cards do not support Revit's OpenGL requirements------------------------------------------------ATI Rage 128 MagnumATI Rage 128 Xpert 128 ProNVIDIA geforce 4 128mb

Also, check out this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3484&highlight=open).

sbrown
2004-08-19, 01:17 PM
You need to turn off your hardware acceleration to get that error message to go away. Right click your desktop, then properties, settings>advanced>troubleshoot, and turn hdwr off.slide the bar to the left.

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-19, 04:42 PM
Try this out...

Video performance in Revit really improves (esp in plan) if you can get the right drivers for your computer. With the correct driver, OpenGL (in Revit) and maximum hardware acceleration (in Windows) can be enabled.

If you're using an nVidia video card:

find out the manufacturer of the card and use their drivers -- not nVidia's
do not use Microsoft's video drivers as recommended by Windows update
ATI cards:

try the latest driver from ATI's website (www.ati.com (http://www.ati.com)); if that doesn't work, try earlier versons of the driver. ATI often keeps previous versions of their drivers for each video card
For other makes the strategy is the same as for ATI cards.

HTH!

Archimac
2004-08-19, 07:58 PM
I am thinking of getting a Dell Inspirion 9100 with a 64MB ATI Radeon 9700 notebook. Do you think it would perform well. I would be driving an Apple 23" display. They also offer a 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 but more expensive.

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-19, 08:37 PM
I don't know what the exact relationship is, but the more video RAM, the higher color depth you can have. I have a 128Mb ATI video card on my venerable laptop and it works well. I have a 64Mb video card in my Dell desktop at home and it's OK at 32bit color to 1162 x 864 (the monitor won't take any more than that at 75Hz and I refuse to look at a 60Hz monitor!)

With the 23" monitor you're going to want lots of resolution -- probably 1600 x 1200 -- and the question is whether 64Mb is going to do that with any level of quality. I would go for the 128Mb card in that case. On the laptop screen 64Mb may well be OK, tho.

Archimac
2004-08-19, 09:39 PM
Thanks Metanoia! I am currently using something called VT book plugged into the card bus slot. It has 32 mb video ram and produces a great image but working in Revit produces too much lag. It works great in photoshop just not 3d.

The VTbook is a great solution to allow one to get a dvi connection from a notebook.

Here is my question for the experts: Does it take a more video processing power to drive a larger display ie: more video ram?