PDA

View Full Version : Sloping Curved Curtain Walls...possible?

andrew.gamblen
2007-11-21, 11:46 AM
Hi there. I've literally had Revit Architecture for 2 days and i've been playing around with it before i start getting serious. Anyway, i've got a design project and i'm inputting the design into Revit Architecture.

As the title suggests i've hit a problem. Attatched is a picture of what it is i want to do. A "simple" curved curtain wall that rises as it progresses. It starts at a height of 12m and ends up at a height of 20m at essentially a uniform rate. I've searched the forums and the topics that cover this are far far too comples for me to understand let alone mess with, and i have a funny feeling that the people in those threads want to do something far more complex than what i want. Apologies though if this is a "repost"!

So i'm wondering if there's an easy, or at least easier way, to do this. If not could someone do basically a tutorial on how to do this/point me to a tutorial?

Thanks very much.

Andrew

niki_funky
2007-11-21, 12:18 PM
Try using the attach command. Attach the curtain wall to the floor/roof.

best regards
niki

andrew.gamblen
2007-11-21, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it, but it doesnt seem to do aynthing. It comes up with a couple of errors when i try to attatch it. The error messages are

"Can't keep wall and roof joined"
"One of more references of the highlighted element have become invalid"
"Can’t create Curtain Wall Mullion. The portion of the curtain grid it was placed on no longer exists."

Any ideas as to what it is that im missing? Any other ways you can think of that might work?

niki_funky
2007-11-21, 01:24 PM
It's best if you can upload some file, so we can look at it.

best regards
niki

sbrown
2007-11-21, 01:42 PM
Make sure your roof is completely over the wall before you attach it. click ok to the errors they are about mullions that get deleted and replaced. You shouldn't have any problem making that wall.

SkiSouth
2007-11-21, 01:47 PM
There are two methods to create this, one by lines and one by face.Look in the model tab, under curtain systems. You'll need to create the lines using reference planes, draw the lines to define the curtain system using the correct work plane, and then select these lines for the system. OR you can model a mass using solids and voids, then simply select the resulting face for the system. Look at the help section for curtain systems, and a better explaination is found there. (or do what scott tells you)

andrew.gamblen
2007-11-21, 01:47 PM
Ah. I feel stupid now! It was the roof that wasnt fully over the wall thus giving me problems! Thanks for the help guys!

SkiSouth
2007-11-21, 01:50 PM
The curtain system will allow the slope in the wall if you wish. And welcome to AUGI Revit forums..

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-11-21, 04:06 PM
Also keep in mind that you don't require the roof to use the attach option. All wall types will attach to a reference plane as well.
The advantage there is if the roof has a slightly different geometry than the top of your wall. If you change the angle of the ref plane the top of wall will also adjust.

mmodernc
2007-11-27, 08:20 AM
what if you want the top of the wall to attach to the underside of a spiral stair?

SkiSouth
2007-11-27, 02:49 PM
what if you want the top of the wall to attach to the underside of a spiral stair?

See Beegee's blog HERE (http://revit-alize.blogspot.com/)

dpasa
2007-11-27, 04:48 PM

...or any stair?

mmodernc
2007-11-27, 07:53 PM
Hopefully stair and ramp by next release will be structural element like floor or roof or both with joinable geometry and hopefully not limited to RS
Ar BG says re doors and windows - got another call on hold. Other way of doing this- thanks to a certain group protesting that it should be in RA not just RS -is to use an editable floor and trace the boundaries of the curved stair then edit the points so they have a height equivalent to the underside of the stair at each riser. This can form a soffit or be made invisible in the relevant views and the wall can then attach to it
AND hopefully by next release there will also be a lofting tool. I suppose you could always create the wall in another program like Sketch Up? and import and convert to wall Can you model an acanthus leaf in sketch up?