PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

kevin.evans
2007-11-21, 02:16 PM
I am in need of a new laptop to run both my AutoCAD 2008 and Revit Architecture 2008. I am aware of the Autodesk requirements and recommendations but would appreciate hearing from you as to what I should be looking for to best optimize performance. My company usually uses HP but please share your experiences with any manufacturer so I can get the best system for our needs. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Calvn_Swing
2007-11-21, 03:19 PM
I don't think Vendor particularly matters.

In general, the most important thing is to get 4 gigs of ram.
Second, the fastest dual core processor you can afford.
Third, a graphics card with a minimum of 512Mb memory. (workstation class cards aren't important for Revit, if you're a mad man on Max or something like that, then go workstation class)
Last, the highest resolution screen you can handle/afford.

Good luck!

mrice.47661
2007-11-21, 06:02 PM
I'd agree with the reccomendations of getting the 4GB of RAM, as well as the fastest processor that is reasonably priced.

We've gotten by fine w/ 256MB graphics cards however, working on a 330MB central model. I'm not sure if the cost/benefits comparison of a 512 card over a 256 card would give you all that much more.

Then again, we last updated machines about 6 months ago, so maybe graphics card prices have dropped significantly.

I work on a 17" widescreen laptop w/ Revit at home. Its not bad for a short stints, but for any real productivity, I think you might want to consider an external widescreen LCD, if the laptop is going to be your primary machine. There is just a lot of screen real estate that gets eaten up by the project browser.

AP23
2007-11-22, 10:45 AM
Two words: Macbook Pro.

And, like what mrice.47661 said, get yourself a external (wide) screen for the long hours. And even if you want a computer solely for home use purpose, a laptop doesn't restic you to a desk in the den.

Andre Baros
2007-11-22, 02:38 PM
How and where are you going to be using this computer? If you're working at a desk, then I don't see the point of a laptop, get a desktop and a big monitor or a Cintique. If your working on the road and moving around a lot than get a small laptop, you'll use it more if it's small enough to take out anywhere, anytime. The Macbook Pro gets the best benchmarks and gives you the benefit of the Mac OSX, but it's also too hot to acutally use in your lap. Both the Dell and HP workstation class laptops get good reviews, but they're big and bulky... I know that when I had one, thinking I needed the power, I never took it anywhere because it was too heavy.

Personally, I've been amazed lately at how much I can do on a Thinkpad Tablet (x60) with Revit. Autocad isn't as tablet friendly (doesn't matter to me, I don't use it anymore), but Revit works great and works anywhere, particularly well in planes, trains, and automobiles. At my desk I have a workstation and two huge monitors, so having a small laptop serves a different purpose.

iandidesign
2007-11-22, 07:42 PM
I agree with the smaller (15") laptop + large external monitor. The 15" screen is plenty for the other things you have going while reviting and the smaller, lighter form factor does make a difference, especially if you bus, walk, bike a lot (which I do). And if you do go with a MBP the 15" has the awesome LED backlit screen.

I would recommend an external keyboard (and mouse/trackball of course) so you can position the laptop screen adjacent to the big monitor. I built a little wood stand so the bottom edge of my PowerBook and 24" Dell line up. I have a nearly identical set-up at home and office so when I bike to work I just sleep the PB and go. For road work my laptop bag is ready with it's own power supply and wireless mouse. It costs a bit to duplicate all the peripherals but much less than a second computer, and more importantly no hassles keeping two workstations in sync.

Back-up religiously, buy laptop insurance, and damn the torpedoes!

P.S. I used a Cintique once for a week with VectorWorks and didn't really like it. My hand kept getting the way of precise snaps. Make sure you try it on some real work before dumping the $$. You can get a 30" display for $1k less than the 21" Cintique.

GuyR
2007-11-22, 08:17 PM
I'm with Andre on this. If you're at a desk for most of the week get a desktop PC. Much better specs for less money. If you need a laptop I'd go for specs in this order:

1.. 4 gigs of ram
2.. 7200RPM Hardrive
3.. dualcore processor, min 2GHz
4.. Workstation (Quadro) graphics card if you can afford it.

Guy