PDA

View Full Version : Importing regions & solids from ACAD to 3ds, colors?

Maverick91
2007-11-30, 08:48 PM
I've been tinkering with using 3ds Max and animating objects around a path. When I import regions and solids from ACAD to 3ds, the colors don't follow. I want the colors from ACAD to be the same after importing. Even if they do show in the 3ds Max views, the rendering doesn't show; the objects show gray. What am I missing?

stusic
2007-12-01, 12:28 AM
You'll need to add a material to the objects for them to show up in the rendering. The colors you see in the viewport are just to help distinguish different objects.

If all you want to do is add some color to your objects, it's easy:

Select the object whose color you'd like to change.

Press "M" to open up the material editor.

Click in an empty material slot (one of the grey spheres).

Under the section titled "Blinn Basic Parameters", click in the grey box next to "Diffuse".

In the box that pops up, select the color you'd like to use. Click Close.

In the row of icons below the material slots, click the button "Assign Material to Selection" (I think 3rd button from the left).

Done! Now you've worked with materials. Congratulations!

Maverick91
2007-12-04, 09:50 PM
You'll need to add a material to the objects for them to show up in the rendering. ...Done! Now you've worked with materials. Congratulations!
Meh. I really wanted to avoid using materials, just 'cuz I've had the experience before that Viz would use the entity's color.

I was having a hard time even getting a material to associate with the objects. I managed to work around the problem and just use the ACAD colors. It finally worked out. Thanks.

arshiel88
2007-12-05, 02:27 AM
I think you need to set the Derive AutoCAD Primitives by option to Color.

stusic
2007-12-05, 03:00 PM
I think you need to set the Derive AutoCAD Primitives by option to Color.

I thought the import options of Color, Layer, Entity, One Object, etc. was only for how objects were linked to each other. I didn't think it had anything to do with how they appeared when rendered...