PDA

View Full Version : Thatched Roof

rjcrowther
2007-12-02, 11:02 AM
Hi All,
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to make a thatched roof. I need to produce a shaded with edges view and can't seem to get any where.

Attached is my effort, it is a footprint roof with a large profile fasia swept along the ridges and hips to make some capping and then sent to photoshop to tidy up some dodgy lines (as well as sorting out the entourage). Anyway, roof....

I think some fill patterns might get me out of trouble but the swept fascias (ridge and hip capping) will not take a fill pattern. My other option is to spend too long in photoshop which I would prefer not to do (especially since I know someone will ask for a view from the other side.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Rob

SkiSouth
2007-12-02, 12:40 PM
I don't have time to work it now, but I think I'd use a glazing system, with the panels being made of arrays of "tied grass" if you will, a small family to look like the texture of grass, arrayed to match panel width and height. The diagonals are going to be bothersome though as the arrays will cause an issue. Another option is to make a really small grid system and make the mullion family as the thatch.

rjcrowther
2007-12-02, 12:55 PM
Thats a path I can take that I haven't been down.

Thanks,
Rob

truevis
2007-12-03, 04:25 AM
Make some line-based families and 'draw' them on the planes of your roof.

rjcrowther
2007-12-03, 07:43 AM
Thanks,

I started with the 2-pick family method but since posting the designer has contacted me and gives preference to a hint of thatching rather than the definite look I was aiming at. I also had sent him a jpeg similar to that posted with the sun tuned down and this shows the fill patterns a bit better. Seems I will keep this in store for the next thatched roof I come across.

Thanks,
Rob